Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rumors of gibson going back to 2014 model range.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rumors of gibson going back to 2014 model range.

i saw on reddit that Gibson are going to drop the auto tuners and the speck changes and bring back in the cheaper guitars.

as it was on reddit im not taking it as gospel. has any one else seen any news on this?
    no sig.....

Firmly in the "rumor" department as far as I can tell. Got an email from Reverb yesterday with the headline "Today's Deals & Steals | Gibson Abandons 2015 Design Changes & Pricing". The link was not clickable, there was no further information in the body of the email, and no details appear on Reverb's site.

Shit, they may even be the source of the rumor, given that it looks like it was published accidentally (who the fuck sends out emails with headlines that go nowhere).

Edit: Whoops! They have it up on their site now.... So it does look like the original source is Reverb.

No attribution for the info offered in the post.
    Last edited by Vass; 09-02-2015, 07:39 AM.

Comment

I think you heard right. AMS has a bunch of 2016 Gibbys on their site now, and they look to be missing the
      robot tuners and unnecessary adjustable nut. And they're heavily touting the PLEK'd corain nut...

Comment

Corian nuts are good. I had them installed on a couple of my guitars (Godin semiacoustic, ESP Les Paul DC, Fender reissue strat). Not sure about the PLEKing though. I never owned a PLEK'd guitar that I am aware of. I have a 2010 Gibson Custom Shop LP Custom but don't think it is PLEK'd.

Comment

Would love to have a LP, but I've never been able to get on with short-scale necks. Anyway, even for a non-fanboy like myself, it was quite apparent that Gibson jumped the shark in 2015. Hopefully, they've learned from that mistake, and are returning to their roots now.

Comment

Actually, they already did go back and they went back to 2012/13 specs, not 2014. Guitar Center already has 2016 models in stock. I have already played a 2016 Les Paul Standard. They even went back to the old-school brown cases.

Comment

From what I can gather, Gibby is saying the nut is PLEK'd, but they don't seem to
              be saying the frets got the PLEK treatment? WTF? Never had a PLEK'd guitar,
              but I'd like to try one...

Comment

Zzounds already has 2016 models up on their site. No more robot tuners, brass 0 frets and wide necks are gone. Prices are down too
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

I must be that one guy that liked the 2015 spec changes. (Still on the fence about robo-tuners...)
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

i have tried the robot tuners and they work, but my explorer doesn't go out of tune in my house on stock tuners. maybe in a sweaty club. imo its fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

i have a warmoth neck and they have used some sort of robot on the frets they ends a to perfect. it plays just fine.

imo Gibson and Fender are and always will be stuck in 1959. you either accept that or buy an Ibanez.
                    no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by asix View Post
                      imo Gibson and Fender are and always will be stuck in 1959. you either accept that or buy an Ibanez.
                      Yes, but nothing sounds like a Les Paul and nothing sounds like a Strat! I like the fact that they got those guitars right and want them to stay close to the basic winning formula. Both companies own other brands that they should be pushing the development and R&D on further IMO. Leave the classics alone. I love seeing new designs from Jackson, EVH, Kramer, etc.

Comment

For sure.
                        no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          Would love to have a LP, but I've never been able to get on with short-scale necks. Anyway, even for a non-fanboy like myself, it was quite apparent that Gibson jumped the shark in 2015. Hopefully, they've learned from that mistake, and are returning to their roots now.
                          Just get a Duesenberg 49 er
                          Charvel CST 060 1992
                          Charvel CST 070 1992
                          Charvel CDS 090 1993
                          Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
                          Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
                          Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
                          Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
                          Duesenberg 49er 2012
                          Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
                          Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
                          History TH-LS Limited 2009
                          History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

I've had two custom guitars plek'd. I'd only suggest it if you buy an older guitar you want to keep and it has some unwanted fretboard inconsistencies... like stuff that develops naturally over time... because wood ages, sometimes unpredictably. It basically restores the fretboard to brand new like level.

But I have no idea what a plek'd nut is. Sounds more like a sales gimmick to me. Any half decent luthier can cut a nut properly.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                            X