No announcement yet.

NGD! EVH Striped Series Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I was going through withdrawals with the site being down , I really don't care for facebook, but I joined the group the other day trying to see what was up with the site being down.
    Newc, nice review!

Toejam,
    Last edited by Jackson8090s; 09-08-2015, 03:57 PM.
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Great review, Newc. Thanks for posting.

If you do end up pulling the neck off, please post pics of the heel and neck pocket. Very curious what they look like.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        Great review, Newc. Thanks for posting.

If you do end up pulling the neck off, please post pics of the heel and neck pocket. Very curious what they look like.
        Likewise, I'd love to take that body and put a proper neck (read: not fugly) on it.

Comment

So the trem really isn't blocked? The D-Tuna won't work with a floating bridge.

Comment

The head isn't that bad once you focus on playing it. Although, out of the corner of my eye, I kept "seeing" a reverse pointy

Hmmmm. I have that reverse pointy from the Shattered Glass Star I shoulda never let go of

More crappy pics!

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              So the trem really isn't blocked? The D-Tuna won't work with a floating bridge.
              Nope, not blocked. It was above the body. I dropped it down. It's got like a hair of pull-up. Not even a semi-tone.

The lever just kinda flops and spins freely. I'm guessing I need to loosen the intonation set screw for the D-tuna to work. I figured it came already ready already
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Very cool...been wanting one of those. Nice grab

Comment

The D-tuna you sort of push down then slide back. It is a bit of a fiddle. No adjusting of the intonation screw is required.

Comment

Why only the 2 springs? Is this how Eddie had his star originally set up? Any EVH buffs out there to chime in on this? Or is this another cost-cutting measure by FMIC to eliminate "extra" parts and keep their costs down?

Anyone else ever setup a Floyd with only 2 springs? Can't say I've done it before. Any advantages or disadvantages?

Comment

Just surfing around Ebay and I see other EVH models, Charvel striped models and the Charvel guitars that Eddie striped personally also have 2 springs. So I guess it's an Eddie thing then. So the question is, why? Or is it just a personal thing?

Comment

Probably because Ed did it that way. It works. Trem isn't floppy like you'd expect with only 2 springs - bends are easy but the rest don't go drastically out of tune like you'd expect. Could also be that the springs are new. Or they might be thicker or wound tighter than normal springs.

The D-tuna rattles, though, so warbling is harder to pull off.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
                          Why only the 2 springs? Is this how Eddie had his star originally set up? Any EVH buffs out there to chime in on this? Or is this another cost-cutting measure by FMIC to eliminate "extra" parts and keep their costs down?

Anyone else ever setup a Floyd with only 2 springs? Can't say I've done it before. Any advantages or disadvantages?
                          Devout 2 spring player here, and yes, I swiped it from EVH and several other 80's era 2 spring players, at the suggestion of a guitar tech who set it up for me back in the day.

Fact is, playing fully floating trems in Eb tuning, using 9-42 strings, you either need to back the screws on the spring claw out quite a bit to reduce tension on 3 springs or you can go to 2 springs. Luckily, with springs being available in various tensions now, you could do the same for heavier gauge strings or E standard.

The advantage IMO is slightly more responsive performance.

The disadvantage, from my experience, it adds a bit of sponginess to the play of the strings, particularly in bends. But technique can be adapted to compensate (to a degree) for that.

Comment

I had to back the screws out about 1/2" to get the bridge level, and that was before I dropped it down to Eb. Cranked them back in maybe 1/8" once it was all done, so if you go to 10s or higher in standard E, you got plenty of room to go deep with the screws.

Comment

Working...
                            X