Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Take on the Guthrie Charvel

Hey All,

I wanted something new and different and I really liked the look of the new Guthrie Govan Charvel so I used it as my inspiration on this new build.

So, it is a San Dimas body shape made of Basswood with 1/4 Inch Maple top. I picked up the Maple top really cheap, was only $30. Its not the nicest piece of maple, but I like it with the Tung Oil finish and think the open knots and grain give it a nice look. I had the neck on another project guitar, which I originally got from Musikraft. It is a great neck, 22 jumbo frets, one piece Birds Eye Maple, 12-16 radius, Charvel Strat Headstock, R3 Nut, etc. They make great replacement necks and I highly recommend them . I used a Walnut stain with 3 coats of polished Tung Oil.

I know the real one used a non locking Floyd, but I wanted to use some spare parts and I had the Floyd Original with Brass Block sitting around waiting for another project. I also threw in some pickups that I already had. I put an EVH Wolfgang in the Bridge and an Evolution in the neck. I also put the Tone pot on a push/pull and the tone pot is out of the circuit until you pull it out to engage.

I have to say, the tone of the guitar is awesome! EVH and Guthrie are onto something with the Basswood/Maple body combo. I will definitely make more guitars with this tone wood combination.

Also, I have had the EVH pickup in a few different guitars over the years (Alder, Poplar, Mahogany bodies, etc) and it is singing with this tone wood combination! The EQ of the pickup in this wood combo is just amazing to me. Hard to describe, but it is just a +1. Everything sounds a little better, lows, highs and pitch harmonics, clarity, etc.

Anyway, I love Charvel guitars and would love to own a real Guthrie custom one day, but this is my tribute at least and I thought I would share.
    Last edited by Radiohead; 09-19-2015, 10:07 AM.

Nice job. Looks great!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

real nice, man
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I love it! The maple top's just got a ton of character to it.
        Great job!

Comment

Working...
        X