Bc Rich -- identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bc Rich -- identification

So, I hate asking sellers questions when they obviously don't know what they are talking about.. so I have to come to the good folks at JCF, lol.

BC Rich
    NJ Neck Thru Series

That is what it says on the headstock. NJ Neck Thru Series

I know NJ's are imports. Some of them are crap and some of them are fairly decent. But I haven't seen the NJ Neck Thru Series before, and my Google hasn't shown any relevant information. Really, just a couple old forum posts of people saying they have one, but no real information.

So, who knows what?

It has BC Rich branded pickups. A Widow Maker headstock. Diamond inlays.

The owner claims his research shows it is from 1982. And it has a Licensed Floyd Rose which he says is an older style (blurry photo, I can't tell what it is). But then, he also says it is a set neck, even though it is clearly a neck thru

What body shape?
    The 1982 sounds like bollocks, as a quick google suggests NJ series didn't exist until 1984...

Comment

That and apparently the Widow headstock only appeared on the Widow until 1996, so if it isn't a widow, it's post '96.
      And the widow wasn't introduced until 1983, so it can't be a 1982.

Comment

Warlock

And...
        Apparently, if you put a hyphen to make it neck-thru, Google has a lot more results.
        These were Korean, early-mid 2000's. I found a lot of 2005's.

I still haven't found 'details', or why the separate series moniker. But I have seen others calling them a set neck. Why name it 'neck-thru' if it is a damn set neck.
        Although, I have seen through the years, numerous misinformed people who don't know the difference.

Comment

If it's the model I think they were pretty good. Pickups and hardware was kind of crap but that's an easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            But I have seen others calling them a set neck. Why name it 'neck-thru' if it is a damn set neck.
            Some people don't know the difference. There are some manufacturers, like Schecter, who make a set-thru... it's got the shaved neck heel that's smoothed down like a neck-thru, but the neck is set into only about the neck pickup cavity.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              but the neck is set into only about the neck pickup cavity.
              Like Jackson neck thru's
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                Like Jackson neck thru's
                I don't know when Jackson changed, but even their necks go a lot farther down the body than the neck pickup cavity.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have one, as for specs not sure what you want to know. I seem to recall different models having different specs.
                  Mine has 24 fret ebony board with diamonds (moto i beleive), licensed floyd and bc rich branded pups. It looks better than it plays, the neck is painted and kinda chunky, certainly chunkier than I like.

At the minute its cased and away upstairs but can get you any clearer pics/details if you need any.

Comment

Like Jackson neck thru's
                    Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I don't know when Jackson changed, but even their necks go a lot farther down the body than the neck pickup cavity.

Newer Jackson neck-thru models go the entire length of the body.
                    But, they are only the upper half of the body. And then, because they are only the top half, once you reach the nearest pickup to the fingerboard, it is essentially cut off from the rest of the neck thru. Which is sort of like a set thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post
                      I have one, as for specs not sure what you want to know. I seem to recall different models having different specs.
                      Mine has 24 fret ebony board with diamonds (moto i beleive), licensed floyd and bc rich branded pups. It looks better than it plays, the neck is painted and kinda chunky, certainly chunkier than I like.

At the minute its cased and away upstairs but can get you any clearer pics/details if you need any.

At this point, I am not interested in it.
                      A 1982 B.C. Rich (as advertised), ok I am interested. But I am really not looking for a modern Warlock made in Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                        Newer Jackson neck-thru models go the entire length of the body.
                        But, they are only the upper half of the body. And then, because they are only the top half, once you reach the nearest pickup to the fingerboard, it is essentially cut off from the rest of the neck thru. Which is sort of like a set thru.
                        Exactly

if Jackson were a true Neck Thru, the only part of the neck in the body that would be a separate piece would be the piece behind the tremolo (routed to drop in the trem)
                        but Jackson necks end at the first pick up the way they construct them, so not even stoptails or string thru's 'benefit' from the perceived advantages of a NT
                        Then again, (unless neck and body the same wood) the bodies of Jackson have more impact on the tone since there is more material left, whereas true NT's are just 2 pieces of wings glued on
                        (in an RR that would be almost minimal)

I heard there are a few manufacturers who make set in necks that go deeper into the body, beyond the first P'up cavity

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

It is hilarious that it can be considered "not a true neck-fru geetar" if the neck is laminated as per the way many of the Jackson USA production models are made

Does this mean that a 3 piece neck is also "not a true neck-fru geetar" since it is 3 pieces of wood glued together?

Love it or hate it, its still a neck thru guitar, just a different way of doing it

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
                            Does this mean that a 3 piece neck is also "not a true neck-fru geetar" since it is 3 pieces of wood glued together?
                            Since the component that is considered the neck runs the entire length and depth of the body, No
                            But it's funny that contrary to your opinion of a neck thru you do know what defines a multi-piece neck
                            why aren't you calling it a single piece neck?

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

the only part of the neck in the body that would be a separate piece would be the piece behind the tremolo
                              Ya know, I never thought about tremolos. I guess, using that logic, none of my neck thru are actual neck thru's because the trems cut it off from going the entire length.

See, I am ok with trems cutting it off and still calling it a neck thru.
                              I just feel a little slighted when it is a top piece instead of the entire piece. I am old fashioned, I want wings glued to the sides, not a slat glued into a groove.
                              But I actually prefer bolt ons anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                              X