GMP 'DC' Custom Guitar arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMP 'DC' Custom Guitar arrived

After 16 months my Custom 'DC' guitar has finally arrived.

Mahogany body
    Koa top
    Mahogany set-neck
    Seymour Duncan SH-4 hum
    Bound ebony fretboard

The workmanship of the guitar is immaculate. However, the finish turns out to be very dark. When there's no sunlight you can hardly notice the grain of the Koa. I was asking for a natural oil finish (body, neck and headstock) but I got a glossy clear coat finish with a dark brownish stain.

Would I order from GMP again? I don't think so.

Last edited by Cosmiceddie; 03-21-2016, 11:21 PM.

Looks gorgeous! Did you contact them to find out why it's gloss instead of oiled, and can they strip it and do it right?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow, I'm a big GMP fanboy but that is an inexcusable f-up. Let us know how the situation pans out for you. Great looking guitar though!

Comment

Wow... 16 months. Nice, simple guitar, but damn, that's a long time to wait for something so simple.

At this point, the only places I'd consider ordering from are Carvin or Amfisound.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Shame about the finish issues, otherwise it seems killer. I love oil finishes too.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Gorgeous guitar. Sorry it's not quite what you ordered, but it is quite a nice piece regardless.

Comment

That guitar is beautiful! It's a bummer that you didn't get the sheen you were looking for, however are you sure they put a stain on it? I have many koa guitars and the color can vary widely with just a clear. Doesn't matter if it's a satin or gloss. It can be violin type brown to clearer red-orange-ish. I'm not saying that's what happened, but if you wouldn't have said it was stained, I would say it looks perfectly normal, and awesome! Hope you can figure something out with it.
              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                however are you sure they put a stain on it? I have many koa guitars and the color can vary widely with just a clear. Doesn't matter if it's a satin or gloss. It can be violin type brown to clearer red-orange-ish. I'm not saying that's what happened, but if you wouldn't have said it was stained, I would say it looks perfectly normal, and awesome!
                I was thinking the same thing. Looks perfectly normal for koa whether it's gloss or oiled.

Comment

It may or may not have been stained, but there's a huge difference between oiled and cleared. I'd send it back for full refund.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Here's a picture of the back of the guitar. As you can see the Mahogany is just as dark brown. It really looks like stained, doesn't it? This can't be a natural finish.

Comment

Looks like the back of my old Hamer Special. Mahogany varies from orange, reddish and brownish colors. Hard to tell if it's really stained.

Comment

I've worked with wood for over 30 years and yeah wood from the same species varies greatly in color.

Why not fire off an email to GMP and ask them if it's stained?

Nice looking guitar.

Comment

As others have said, every piece of wood is different. Colors can vary quite a bit, so that very well could be the natural color with just a clearcoat. If it does have a stain, though, it's a pretty light shade.

Comment

Here are two pictures of the unfinished guitar:

Comment

Again, that doesn't look like it was stained at all. Looks like it was cleared to me. Perhaps not to the sheen you were expecting, but nonetheless just cleared. Just send Dan a message, he will be upfront with you.
                              Good luck.
                              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
                              X