Epiphone 1984 explorer - Matthias Jabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone 1984 explorer - Matthias Jabs

Being a long-time Scorpions fan, Matthias Jabs’ white explorer was always one of those iconic guitars that has been on my wish list. After playing an Epiphone 1984 explorer, I figured it would make a great platform to build my own Jabs explorer. (Check out an 1984 explorer model if you haven’t yet – great players!) A couple years ago I found a dealer on Ebay that was selling a new Epi that had a small crack in the neck. I had Lee at GMW check out the listing and he thought the neck repair was simple. The listing wasn’t getting any bids so I made him a low offer. Luckily for me, it was accepted.

So I sat on the guitar for a while before finally sending it out to GMW. Once I sent it out to Lee and he easily fixed the neck, I decided to add my personal touch to it and have Lee fill the neck route and convert it to a single hum with a non-recessed Floyd Rose. In order to do so, Lee had to cap the front and back using mahogany caps and add a locking nut. The finish is pure white with a urethane top coat so it will stay bright white. And I had Lee install a Seymour Duncan TB-5 to finish it off.

Looking forward to getting this one back and jamming some Scorpions riffs. First up will be Big City Nights! Here’s some pics of the construction process and the completed explorer. Enjoy!

Looks great, well done for sure! I too have always loved that guitar. Congrats
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Nice... love the scorps, cool guitar

Comment

awesome guitar, and damn those guys do some amazing work
        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Oooh, that's pretty sweet! Congrats.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Very nice! I look for those Explorer 90 models from
            time to time and they’re always priced pretty fully.

Comment

That looks like it'll rock you like a hurricane!

Comment

That is awesome. Always loved that guitar of his.

Comment

Working...
                X