X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Star

Have any of you purchased anything from
    vh-guitarstore.com ?
    I am going to build myself a star body guitar and have come across the site.
    I was thinking of using a Floyd on the guitar and I do not want a recessed trem but vh-guitarstore does not angle the neck pockets. I may buy one of his brass trems which are supposed to be good and a set of locking tuners instead of a Floyd.
    Any opinions on this setup versus the Floyd? (tuning stability, tone?)
    Thanks in advance!!

David

Re: Building a Star

no, but i'm 99% positive that doug from trillian guitars is involved with this. doug's a cool guy, and forum member, which never hurts!

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yea, I believe that his name is Doug (if my memory serves me right) and he has been helpful.

Comment

you can put a floyd on a guitar with no neck angle. the floyd will sit flat ontop of the body & the neck pocket will need a shim, almost any guitar you see that has been modded from vintage trem to a floyd are like that. some guitars that are factory floyds still have the neck pocket shimed to dial in the correct angle. there is a big difference in tone between vintage trems & floyds. i find floyds to be brighter & more focused, vintage trem are warmer sometimes almost lagging attack. vintage trems even with locking tuners arent as stable as floyds. its all a matter of opinion & personal taste. just about everything u can do with a v-trem you can do with a floyd but not the other way around.

BTW where are you getting the star body? im also looking at building either a star or explorer.

[ March 10, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: jamie ]

Comment

Doug will build me a star body to my liking.
          The Warmoth is nice but it does not have the looks of a Charvel or Kramer. Looks like it was on a diet!
          I really want a Floyd but this shim thing kind of scares me. Warmoth will angle the neck pocket on their body for 10 bucks. It is on their site.
          I am thinking about doing a dye finish, has anyone around here done one of these before?

David

Comment

Working...
          X