Essex guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex guitars

my brother (he's on the board too...but due to his slow internet connection speed, he rarely posts) has been waiting for a Y2KV he ordered last May. Violin Brown finish. Anyway he hasn't gotten it yet....supposedly their was a flaw in the finish, and they wouldn't ship it out when it got done. But they said theywere building the exact same guitar that would be done 2 weeks later..after the first crapped out, after 9 months of waiting? Anyway, he's getting pretty pissed off. And to settle his G.A.S he wants a cheap ass Essex Flying V. Are these things total crap? because, well...he's goign to get it no matter what...but I want to know if anyone has played them...cuz I might want one too! har har!

He's still getting the Y2KV too however. He just needs a flying V in his arsenal. I guess.

Re: Essex guitars

Well, there's no way in hell you can compare them to a Y2KV. However, for the price (under $200) they can't be beat. Supposedly they are solid mahogany (Asian). I had the Les Paul Jr. and it was well worth the $129 I paid for it. Solid and heavy. Frets weren't the best, but what do you expect for that money ? I would put the Essex and Agile stuff on par with the higher-end Epiphone solid body designs but HEAVIER.

Comment

I disagree(respectfully) with the Carrot. My other guitar player(for reasons known only to himself) purchased one of the "Les Pauls" about 6 months ago. The wiring is total crap, it all had to be redone. The pups sound like crap and he freta already coming up on the neck. I dont know if this is indicative of all Essex guitars or not, but I would stay away.

[ March 14, 2003, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Lordofgain ]

Comment

Well again I say, look at the price. For $169 you're getting way more than a K-mart guitar. I've spoken to more people who have had good things to say than bad. Read the reviews on HC. Remember to keep it in perspective, I would totally expect the wiring to be **** as I even replace the pots and pickups on my $1,500 Gibsons. The fret thing is hit and miss, as I mentioned mine weren't the best either, but they were playable and not coming apart. Just sharp and needed some leveling (which I didn't bother doing).

Comment

The Essex/SX line is made in China. The Agile line is made in Korea (probably Samick). So, the Agiles are likely to be better quality instruments.

I got an Agile LP400 Sparkle Top, and it's not bad. But like was said before, they buy the cheaper woods. Although it is really made of Mahogany, it's the REALLY heavy stuff from the bottom of the trees that most manufacturers don't want.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Working...
          X