Head and Cab questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head and Cab questions....

...is it possible to play a head without a cab? I don't think it is but I figured I'd ask you guys first.
    And could you use a 200 watt solid state amp as a substitute for a cab with a 50 watt tube head?
    Just until I could afford a real cab of course, It doesn't need to sound pretty just be functional till I can afford a cab that does sound pretty.

Re: Head and Cab questions....

woops ...wrong forum...this should be under amps and effects.

Comment

Well you never posted it over there, so...

NEVER run a head without having a cab plugged in! Costly damage may result!

I don't really understand your second question; rephrase, please?
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Ok, thats what I figured.
        The second question is this:I have a 200 watt bass amp and I was wondering if I could use that as a cabinet until I can afford a real one. Its solid state, not tube like the head is.

Comment

Okay, I'm assuming you mean a bass combo with a built-in speaker? Yes, you can use that speaker with your amp head, assuming the impedances match. Both can
          probably run at 8 ohms.

You CANNOT plug the speaker out of the tube head into the input of the bass amp
          though!! You would certainly fry the bass amp, and maybe the guitar head too.
          You have to plug into the speaker directly from the tube amp's speaker output. If you can't readily do this, LEAVE THEM ALONE until you get a cabinet
          for the tube head.

Remember, too, DON'T use a guitar cable to run from head to cabinet; it has to be a speaker cable. A speaker cable is about $8; a new head costs hundreds.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

And this is why I ask questions...to save myself money.
            Thanks alot for answering my questions.

Comment

Hey, does this mean you got the JCM900 head from your other thread? If so, then
              congrats! If not, it sounds like you're makin' plans! Either way, have at it!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

It means I am going to get it once I sell my mountain bike. Bikeing comes second to new guitar gear.
                Oh and I found out what model it is. It's the High Gain Dual Reverb, 50 watts. Which will be nice for playing at home, not to big for home, not to small for out with people.

[ March 15, 2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Ozzman ]

Comment

Working...
                X