Les Paul Pickup Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Pickup Choice

I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about the best pickup choice for a Les Paul is without spending $3000 on some 50's originals. I like the look of cremes or Zebras over the covered type but unsure which are available in those colors?? Any input welcomed....Gary

Re: Les Paul Pickup Choice

My Ace LP came loaded with DiMarzios, and it sounds like the world is coming to an end.....Good choice if youre into that kind of thing............

Comment

IMHO the 57 classics sound alot better than actual pups from the 50's. Cost-200.00

Comment

I dont have an LP, but I do have a Fernandes Ravelle. Which is a mahogany neck and body with a carved maple top lp type guitar.
        It has the Duncan Jazz in the neck, and the duncan JB in the bridge.
        It's sounds incredible. Great tone, wonderful sustain.

Kent
        4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

Are the '57 Classics and the PAF reissues mentioned the same pickup?? I saw some "57 Classics on Ebay for a decent price
          Thanks for the info guys.......Gary

Comment

I just looked at Gibsons site. They are the same, sorry for the confusion.
            I have a set in my 74' SG and they sound great! I had them in a cheap ass Turser hollowbody before that and they sounded great in it too!

Comment

My quilt top LP Custom has Gibson PAF reissues and they sound great. Nice tone and sustain. I am not sure which are in my white custom.(now I have to change the strings and find out). My 70's Samick custom has a SD JB in the lead spot and it sounds great too. You can't go wrong with Seymour Duncans, IMO.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGUITAR:
                I like the look of cremes or Zebras over the covered type but unsure which are available in those colors??
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you want cremes, you won't be able to get Duncan's. Because of a copyright, only Dimarzio is allowed to make double cremes. You can get Zebra's from Seymour though. When I had my Les Paul, I had a Duncan Custom in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. Great combo IMO for a Mahogany bodied guitar. You can get just about any sound you want out of this combo.

Comment

Originally posted by jem777az:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by STARGUITAR:
                  I like the look of cremes or Zebras over the covered type but unsure which are available in those colors??
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you want cremes, you won't be able to get Duncan's. Because of a copyright, only Dimarzio is allowed to make double cremes. You can get Zebra's from Seymour though. When I had my Les Paul, I had a Duncan Custom in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. Great combo IMO for a Mahogany bodied guitar. You can get just about any sound you want out of this combo.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I couldn't agree more. That is the exact combo in my Dean 79' RI Z.

Comment

Wow, Thanks for all the info guys!! Off to Ebay to look for a deal. Maybe I'll pick up some Gibson (57's?) and some SD's.... I was thinking of a Duncan custom for the neck. I had recently put one in my Gunslinger (a zebra) and it sounds nice. Not sure what that bodys made of but I think I'll leave it there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .....Gary

Comment

Duncan makes white, both the pups I mentioned are white...but haven't seen a creme in ages. I like the Custom in Mahogany for the bridge as well..not to start another pickup argument.

Comment

My LP has Gibson burstbuckers, and they are excellent. Much like the old PAF sound. They come in 3 different windings, called 1,2 and 3 naturally. I believe the 3s are a little overwound and hotter, while the 1s are a little underwound and mellower with the 2s being the in between.

The SD Antiquities get high praise over on the Les Paul forum too.

Comment

i realy like the gibson 500t and r (respectively) they are the hottest gibson pick up that comes standard in the 1960 "classic" reissue.

great all around and metal pickup.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Duncan sh-14 or a Pearly Gates plus.. I picked both slightly used for less than 80.00

Comment

Working...
                            X