Carvin DC127

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin DC127

Those Carvin's play awsome! The DC's are great...A real bang for the buck! I prefer the older one's, but i'm sure that the newer ones are just as good. As fo Carvin amps? I can't answer that one...I've never owned one.

Re: Carvin DC127

I have a Custom Shop DC-135 that I had built for me in '02 to my specs and I LOVE it! GREAT bang for the buck for sure.

Comment

The guitars:

It's difficult to compare Carvins to Jacksons in terms of playability. Carvins very much have their own feel and sound. In my opinion, Carvins play very well, but not quite as smoothly as a USA Jackson. On Carvins, it helps if you get the jumbo frets, because the standard frets are pretty narrow and not as smooth--I think that accounts for a lot of the difference. Newer Carvins have a pretty fat neck but are still very comfortable. Carvins from the late '80s-early '90s had somewhat thinner necks, about what you would find on a Soloist. I would recommend locating a used one in a store to try out before you buy, but remember that you can get a refund within 10 days if you buy a Carvin and don't like it.

The amps:

I had a Carvin X100B halfstack many years ago that was my primary amp for a long time. I don't know what the new ones are like, but that old X100B had a very nice tone--the clean channel stayed very clean even at ear-shattering volumes. The gain channel didn't have a lot of gain by today's standards (Recto, Bogner etc.), but I got a huge Iommi-esque juicy distorted sound by putting a ProCo Rat in front of it. Also, the thing was built like a tank--it survived a lot of abuse by my young self and kept on cranking. I would say the X100B was tonally closer to a souped-up classic Fender than to a thin buzzy latter-day Marshall (which I've never been impressed with).

Comment

Carvin DC127

I've been looking at the DC127 (I think that's the one) on Carvin's site. The options look pretty damn good, and the price is unbeatable at less than $1000 for a neck-thru with an OFR and made in the USA. I'm interested in their amps, too, just to have a "matching set," I suppose. Anyway, how do the Carvin's play? I think I've heard good things about them on this site, but it's been awhile ago. Thanks for the response!

--Dan
        My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

One minor point as well.

Carvin's have a 25" scale length as opposed to a 25.5" like most jacksons and superstrat style guitars.

To some it makes a difference in string tension, some even say the frets are too close, even though by a minute amount [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, DEFINITELY get the Jumbo frets!

Comment

Carvins are great!! Both of my Carvins have the medium jumbo frets, and they're fine (same frets as my Fender and Hamer). My Jacksons and Charvel have the jumbo, and they're fine, too. I don't have a problem playing guitars with different size frets. Scale length doesn't bother me either, and I think I actually prefer the 25" on the Carvins. The Hamer is 24.75" and all my other guitars are 25.5". Here's pics of my classic white SC90 and ruby redstain DC400. The DC400 is for sale, if anyone's interested. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The only downsides I know of relating to Carvins is the electronics are junk (I am talking about the pots and jacks and are a cheap upgrade) and low resale value. They are cool guitars otherwise.

[ April 16, 2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

...which is really a shame when you look at how well they appoint the control cavities. Brass sinkers, machine screws, and the BEST shielding jobs of any guitars you'll ever find.
                  please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I have a DC127 that was built for me in 2001 and I love the thing. The frets are a little closer together than on my other guitars, but I can get used to it after playing for about 10 minutes or so and it doesn't bother me after that. I also have a 1987 V220 that is an excellent guitar. They are both built extremely well and play great. Once I sell off a few of my other guitars, I'm going to order another DC127.

In addition, I have 2 Carvin X100B 100 watt heads and the MTS 3200 100 watt head. Great amps, reliable and good sounding. Very well built just like their guitars. Carvin stuff is a great buy, especially if you don't want to spend thousands of dollars and still get USA quality.
                    Dana <~~~
                    '85 Rhoads Custom
                    '86 SD Str*t
                    '86 Model 4 (5)
                    '87 Model 1
                    '87 Model 6
                    '88 Model 3DR
                    '90 650 XL
                    '94 KE-3
                    '97 DR Amberburst
                    '97 Dinky BOFlames
                    '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Hey Troy what model is the one you sold me??? I love the thing. It's a great contrast to a wolfgang, charvel import, and the strat copy I own. The frets are skinnier but that really doesn't affect me as I thought it would. But I love the 24 frets, 1 hum, string through. Plus when you sand the finish down and oil the body and have a maple board it's all good.
                      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

That would be one of the old DC-125's I believe. Glad you still dig her!

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno:
                          ...which is really a shame when you look at how well they appoint the control cavities. Brass sinkers, machine screws, and the BEST shielding jobs of any guitars you'll ever find.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know its a shame. I have asked a few people there why they chose to skimp on the pots, switches and jacks and I never can get a straight-forward answer. It probably has something to do with Carvin's vendor of PC Board mount controls used in the amps and PA gear. They probably don't carry the quality stuff for non-PC Board mount electronics and Carvin doesn't want to pay the large initial order for CTS, Centralab, and Switchcraft individually to get the best price on components.

I remember at some point they went to Switchcraft jacks, but am not sure if they are still using them to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by necrotechno:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know its a shame. I have asked a few people there why they chose to skimp on the pots, switches and jacks and I never can get a straight-forward answer. It probably has something to do with Carvin's vendor of PC Board mount controls used in the amps and PA gear. They probably don't carry the quality stuff for non-PC Board mount electronics and Carvin doesn't want to pay the large initial order for CTS, Centralab, and Switchcraft individually to get the best price on components.

I remember at some point they went to Switchcraft jacks, but am not sure if they are still using them to this day.
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm,

I own 4 carvin guitars.
                            I've only had 1 problem with the electronics.
                            Bad jack on my '94 DC400. which is active electronics.
                            Everything else has been fine. No problems.
                            And 2 of them are '89 models. Never had any problems with the electronics on those.

Kent
                            4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
                            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

Working...
                            X