Anderson question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson question

Hi. I'm interested in pickig up a used Anderson, but I am not sure what to check for to validate the authenticity. I heard it is fairly easy to make cheap copies. Apart from the serial number, is there anything else to check for?

Re: Anderson question

The neck plate will have the imbossed "A" anderson logo, and below that, the serial number is the month-day-year it was made, inscribed using an engraving tool, so it looks hand written. They usually also write "handmade in california".

Headstock will have the A logo and Tom Anderson Guitarworks printed underneath.

The tuners will usually have the A logo on them also.

If the guitar has Anderson pickups, they are readily identified as they have very large polepieces, the largest of the industry, a little more than 1/4" in diameter.

They also usually put two strap buttons on the bottom of the guitar.

Their pickup switching system is unique. If it is S-S-HB, they'll usually have three mini toggles for each pickup (three positions each, normal/off/reverse polarity). They usually have a 4th 2-way toggle switch that they call a 'blower switch'. Rearward position engages just the humbucker, front position means the three switches are active, so it will sound per whatever you choose to engage on the three pickup switches.

Prices are another indicator, usually go for minimum of $750 and up.

You could also call them for help with ID, 805-498-1747

What are the features/details of the one you are looking at?

Comment

Re: Anderson question

One thing to know is that their online database of serial numbers isn't perfect. For the vast majority of Anderson's I've looked up, they have matched exactly. However, my Anderson Classic comes up as a Hollow Drop Top classic. I think they might have paper records that are more accurate and if you call they will research it.

Some time after 1996 they started branding the Buzz Feiten logo into the back of the headstock.
      Ask if they have the original hang tag. I suppose this could be faked, but it is one more piece in the authentication picture. I also think it is a good sign of how well they took care of the guitar if they still have the hang tag, fretboard protector, keys to the case and all the other stuff that originally came with the guitar.

As MountainDog stated, prices should fall somewhere in the range of not far below $1,000 to about $1,800-$1,900. The low end is for older Andersons (say a '93 that shows some wear) and the upper end would be guitars someone really did just buy last week and is selling because they have too. I've seen one case (two days after they sold [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ) where a seller was moving two 2001 Drop Tops in excellent condition for $950. If you see any of those, let me know [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ April 16, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: iron_monkey ]

Comment

Working...
      X