GMW GUITARS & PARTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW GUITARS & PARTS

I've been thinking about getting parts or an entire guitar built by GMW. I two SanDimas strats and several ontario guitars now. How do the GMW guitars compare in feel to the Jacksons. I would be grateful for any input from the members. THANKS [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: GMW GUITARS & PARTS

I've owned several of everything you can name, from SD Charvels to production Jacksons old and new, and a few custom shop Jacksons.
    I play GMW now, and nothing else.

Comment

But, Chuck... (Buttchuck? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

You didn't answer the question...!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What about the GMW stuff do you like better than the 80's Jackson stuff? Obviously the price on the GMW guitars is very low, so it would seem to be worth giving one a shot. They look like They are top of the line guitars too. Nice graphics.
        They remind me alot of how Charvel/Jackson was in the early to mid 80's. I have sent Lee a couple emails about necks and bodies, and he responded both times within 24hrs. That all by itself makes me want to just order something.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
          But, Chuck... (Buttchuck? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

You didn't answer the question...!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Re: GMW GUITARS &amp; PARTS

Shuddup noob! (staples)

Its really hard to quanitfy how a guitar feels with written words, espically as I don't type no good. The best way to have an idea is look at the number of past and present SD Charvel owners who are voting with thier wallets to buy GMWs.

What were you considering ordering?

Comment

Strat body, OFR top mount , maple/maple reverse with ebony inlays, some type of military graphic most likely. 1 hum. I still have to decide to go with fender headstock or jackson. I'm leaning toward the fender since all of my other guitars are Jackson's. (1 Les Paul)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                Shuddup noob! (staples)

Its really hard to quanitfy how a guitar feels with written words, espically as I don't type no good. The best way to have an idea is look at the number of past and present SD Charvel owners who are voting with thier wallets to buy GMWs.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"noob"???
                but chuck,......(buttchuck)
                [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Lee and Dan are both very cool guys to deal with. In terms of new guitars, GMWs are just about the closest thing out there to a true San Dimas Charvel. Highly recommended.

Comment

For those who have ordered a GMW...

I'm getting ready to place an order with GMW. I've got the order form filled out but I'm worried that I might leave something out.

What can you take for granted when you get a GMW? Do they round over and smooth everything out (like the edge of the fretboard for example) or do you need to specify little stuff like this?

I'm also considering getting a custom color I saw on a guitar in a book. What would be the best way to make sure I get the color right?

[ April 21, 2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: iron_monkey ]

Comment

just add in everything you want, all the little details. You've got nothing to lose by doing so.

For the color, best thing would be to try and find a pic of it online, or if you can't, just find the color and have some fun with photoshop to put it on whatever body you're interested in.

I too amd very curious about the average price for a GMW, they have quite a reputation..

[ April 21, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: eet_fuk_81 ]

Comment

6105 fret wire......dont forget that....LMAO
                        i got one of my RIchs re-fretted with that & must say its now my fret of choice. nice & tall but thinner than a standard jumbo.

& i have to agree with Chuck, ive owned Charvels & none of them felt the same so to compare GMW to a CHarvel is silly. for instance ive had pointys with really wide 1 11/16" nut & 2 1/4" heal real thin front to back, & stratheads with 1 5/8"- 2 1/8" width that was slightly thicker, but still had the flat spot feel in the back.
                        as far as i know GMW uses standard 2 3/16 heal, so already its not the same as charvels ve had.

Comment

Originally posted by eet_fuk_81:
                          just add in everything you want, all the little details. You've got nothing to lose by doing so.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what I thought, but I've talked to them a couple of times and they've been less likely to discuss design and hardware options than other custom builders I've talked to. I don't want to come off like I'm telling them how to build guitars rather than how to build my guitar [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by jamie:
                          6105 fret wire......dont forget that....LMAO
                          i got one of my Richs re-fretted with that & must say its now my fret of choice. nice & tall but thinner than a standard jumbo.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking about the 6105 fretwire (but haven't tried it before) so that is cool to hear a vote for it.

Originally posted by jamie:

& i have to agree with Chuck, ive owned Charvels & none of them felt the same so to compare GMW to a CHarvel is silly. for instance ive had pointys with really wide 1 11/16" nut & 2 1/4" heal real thin front to back, & stratheads with 1 5/8"- 2 1/8" width that was slightly thicker, but still had the flat spot feel in the back.
                          as far as i know GMW uses standard 2 3/16 heal, so already its not the same as charvels ve had.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is an area that worries me. I'm thinking of getting an 1 11/16" nut but I'm not sure how the string spacing would turn out. I want to get wider string spacing but not so it is too close to the edge. I have some specific measurements I would like for the neck, but GMW seemed to be kinda fast and loose with the neck measurements. They weren't sure about their standard thickness at the nut and 12th fret. However, they said they would send me the neck and I could say if I like it or not...

By default, do the GWM necks have a flat spot in the back? I want to get an oval profile without a flat spot.

GMW already said that an 1 11/16" nut neck would add to my wait time and I'm not sure if I'm asking for more custom of a neck than they really want to build. I'm wondering if I'm just better off going with the standard GWM 1 5/8" neck. But this is a custom guitar... [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ April 21, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: iron_monkey ]

Comment

You're right that that wait time shouldn't be an issue. It's just in this case, the 1 11/16" neck would double the wait time, which made me stop for a second. Didn't seem to me that this choice should cause that long a delay unless it was something really unusual for them.

[ April 22, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: iron_monkey ]

Comment

I got 3 guitars from GMW already and just sent Lee another e-mail for my next one. He is honest and tells you the wait time and also helps make suggestions. But, this is your custom made guitar, so you might not always get suggestions if they are respecting your knowledge of want yo uwant. Just talk to Lee on the phone. I always do and the guitar are awesome. I love waiting for them to arrive. P.S. Every detail is paid attention. The neck edges are rounded and they reall do play great. Everything is A1. That was just my 2 cents.
                              Monte

Comment

Working...
                              X