G.A.S. Attack Aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.A.S. Attack Aftermath

I just couldn't help it, I've always wanted one of these.

Now to plane my fingertips down to about 1/4 their original size so I can use all those frets. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: G.A.S. Attack Aftermath

Holy cow, what is that?

Looks awesome!

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

[ May 02, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Word ]

Comment

I believe that is the Washburn EC 36 if I'm not mistaken. They also had the EC 29 w/29 frets. This one has 36. These were around back in the late 80's.

Word, I'm about ready to sell that red V220. You still want it?
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Edit - D'oh! Too slow, Dana beat me to it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks man. It's a "George Washburn Signature Series Stevens Extended Cutaway". This one's an EC-36 (36 frets), there's also an EC-29 model (29 frets). They made them in the late 80s for a couple of years but didn't sell too many.

[ May 02, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: YetAnotherOne ]
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Sorry bro'. I just happened to see it right after Word asked. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've told this story here before, but in 1988 when we used to play with Dangerous Toys here in Austin, one of their guitar players was using one of those Washburns like you have. He was doing the trick where you throw the axe around your neck you know...and the guitar went flying off the strap and slid across the stage. It was quite a trip.
          Dana <~~~

[ May 02, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: guitarforceone ]
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

i've owned a couple of the 29 fretters...nice guitars...not as nice as the don't smoke soloist in the background though...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Actually that's the Don't Smoke is a Fusion but it's still a monster player. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A few thoughts on the Washburn after spending a bit of time with it: Great guitar, the neck is extremely comfortable, a very smooth - almost effortless - player. It just feels like a quality instrument, probably due to the maple neck, mahogany wings, and neck-through construction. The previous owner did a fantastic setup job, the action is extremly low with no buzz at all. Somewhere along the way the stock Washburn active pickup was swapped for an EMG '81 which is likely a good thing.

As much as I'm enjoying it, the EC-36 does have a few traits that would really annoy most Jackson players: The fingerboard is a very narrow 1 5/8" and has a fairly small radius (feels like about 10" or so though I don't have a way to check). Unless you have the hands of a 5 year old girl, any sort of palm muting is going to result in you picking over the fretboard (in my case at about the 30th fret) because there just isn't room for your hand in the space between the saddles and the last fret. The Washburn-licensed Floyd (model 600-T) is sort of a goofy affair with extremely tall saddles that pretty much rule out the possibility of replacing it (but hey, at least it's floating). The fret wire is both narrower and shorter beyond the 24th fret - it looks kind of strange but isn't really an impediment to playing. The spacing between the frets beyond about the 29th is so small that the extra range past there isn't really very useful. The 36 fret idea is cool but it would work better IMHO on something like a 27" baritone guitar. Hmmm, I wonder if the Custom Shop would .... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bottom line: A nifty axe but a little on the spendy side considering that it's a 15-year-old import (all of the EC-29 and EC-36 Washburns are from Japan). Still, it's probably the nicest Japanese import I've ever played. I haven't played the 29 fret version but I'd imagine that it would alleviate a couple of the annoyances listed above and since I don't find the last 6 or so frets to be useful I don't think I'd miss them.

Now to find a Hamer Virtuoso.

[ May 03, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: YetAnotherOne ]

Comment

Still, it's a very cool find.
                I think that's the era that Washburn was making some darn nice guitars. Much better than he stuff they make today.

There's a 29 fret up on ebay right now.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33048

Starting bid seems high though.

Kent
                4 SONG EP NOW AVAILABLE!!
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/HEDDA

www.heddatheband.com

www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Comment

i never gave more than 350 for any of the 3 i owned...they appear to have gone up...lol...d.m.

Comment

LOL - I guess I was a bit harsh in that review but since the EC-36 is a bit on the rare side (Steve Davies of Stephens Extended Cutaway fame has said that the production run of the EC-29 and EC-36 models totalled less than 2000), I figured that anyone getting a shot at one would probably be doing so at a distance w/o a chance to play it in advance and would want to hear about some of its flaws. That said, it's a great axe. This one will leave when it's pried out of my cold dead hands. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart:
                      i never gave more than 350 for any of the 3 i owned...they appear to have gone up...lol...d.m.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You, my friend, have way better luck than I do. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've seen a few reasonably priced 29s but never less than $500.

Comment

thats cool, i've always wanted to play one of those.

dont know about buying one, but i'd love to try one out.

Comment

i passed one up in a pwan shop in savannah for 169 alittle over 2 years ago...probably still hanging there (floyd was sitting at a 45 degree angle to the body...lol) seem to have been quite a few of those here in ga, and they weren't popular really...blame it on rhythm city...if i see one for cheap in a pawn shop, i'll get the number (after 3 i have no interest anymore)...but i don't go pawnshop hopping as much as i used to...d.m.

Comment

Dana.. I can't afford it at the moment.. every penny I get I'm going to have to put it towareds my vacation this summer.. Dream Theater in Flordia, as well as Jemfest and Disney World.. plus being able to jam and hang out with John Petrucci and Dave LaRue at the party in the hotel suite the Jemfest guys are staying at all night long is a dream come true! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

d.m. - Please do post a number if you happen to see one. I'd love to pick up a '29 as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X