James Hetfields strange axes......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: James Hetfields strange axes......

That is a great site! Hey Jon the second Fernandes I was talkin about is a Strat...I found a pic of him and Cliff with it, I'll dig it up and post a link here. If you could get a pic of him with the Zion that would be great....Zion Guitars is based right in Raliegh NC!

Comment

Very cool

Comment

I believe Kirk has a black/gray Anderson. I've also seen a live pic of him playing a black Ibanez Iceman. He's played a couple Fernandes strats, black with white pickguards and, IIRC, he also had a red one with black pickguard? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Red with black pickguard...thats the one I'm talking about.

Comment

I was wrong. The grey burst looking guitar is in fact an Anderson. He did however have a Zion axe that was real close. The Iceman is a trip. I thought it was weird to see him with a BC Rich Gunslinger, but an Iceman is weirder.

Comment

Kirk has been playing that Rhoads for a long time! I wonder if he got that when James got the King V.

Comment

Kirk had the Jackson Custom RR made for him during the tour for Ride the Lightning. James didn't buy his King V until around or during Master of Puppets. He used it for drop D tuning on The Thing That Should Not Be. The RR was one of Kirk's main guitars up until The Black Album when it became his D tuned Sad But True guitar.

Comment

I asked Robert Witte if he knew the details of Kirk's V and he didn't. I hope he combs the log books for it as it should be listed somewhere if Kirk bought it direct (which the rumor has always been he picked it up right at the factory).

[ May 30, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Originally posted by BK:
                    I believe Kirk plays a Custom Rhoads, not a RR1
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he picked his rhoads straight from the factory while on tour, he still had to wait a while for the glue on the fretboard to dry

cant remember where i heard that though, musta been encycmet or somethign similar

David

Comment

I heard something like that, but it was waiting for the glue on the nut to dry. Either way I don't know how accurate it is as both the fretboard, frets and nut were all glued down before the guitars were finished. Maybe the nut popped off or something else had to be reglued (binding, fret), I don't know. I do know if my nut popped off on any of my San Dimas Rhoads guitars, I would have a crater of a finish chip on the sides.

[ May 30, 2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Originally posted by The Enema:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BK:
                        I believe Kirk plays a Custom Rhoads, not a RR1
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he picked his rhoads straight from the factory while on tour, he still had to wait a while for the glue on the fretboard to dry

cant remember where i heard that though, musta been encycmet or somethign similar

David
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kirk's Rhoads is essentially just a black RR1T with EMG 81 and H pickups. Everything back at Jackson's shop back then was considered a custom. He went to pick it up at the factory the day they finished it. They had just installed the nut when he got there, so he hung out and waited for it to dry. That's the story I remember reading from an interview with Kirk.

[ May 30, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's a Randy Rhoads Custom...same year as mine [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Back then there was just the Custom and Student models.

What year is your Boxcar?

[ May 30, 2003, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Mine is a 1985 sir...I have a magazine from October 1986 where Kirk says that his was made in 1985 too.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

J/K Box!
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X