what's the deal over at GMW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the deal over at GMW?

They've revised all their pics so they don't show the strat style headstocks. Why do think that happened? Gee, I wonder.

Re: what\'s the deal over at GMW?

Not sure what you're talking about. All the pics on their custom shop pages show headstocks. Anything in particular?

Comment

I think he's talking about the rock replica's page. All the headstocks on there are cut off.

Comment

correct me if i'm wrong, but you can have a guitar with a strathead on it, provided it is logo free.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

AFAIK, you still can. Nothing on their site says otherwise and all of their customs still have the stratheads displayed loud and proud.

Comment

They still show the strat headstock if you enlarge the photo.

Comment

Everything is the same, just the pics on the Rock Replicas have been changed to protect Fenders vast wealth from being depleted by cool custom shops like GMW...Sully Guitars...

Comment

It would be very disappointing if Fender's legal eagles have decided that, not only won't we get stratheaded Charvel / Jacksons again, but that GMW and others can't even use them, either. Logo'd or not. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Prepare to see used strathead GMW values go up?

Comment

yep...sorry, it's my fault.

FEAR ME, FENDER!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA::cough hack wheeze:: HAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

sully

[ May 16, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

ARMING THE LASER!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

God Forbid anyone should pollute and otherwise diminish Fender's trademarked unplayability and Countryfied honky-ness by releasing a more playable and better-sounding version of their models [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Like using a headstock design is really gonna make a difference [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      I can understand the idea about copyrights - it'd be the same as someone copying one of my songs and just changing the title, but then again, it's NOT like copying one of my songs and changing the title - if someone had the same title but different music and lyrics, THAT is closer to copying the design of a head. Fender needs to lighten up and realise they do NOT make the be-all-end-all guitar, but they DO have one (and I stress "ONE") of the coolest headstocks. I mean, it's like blue jeans or a black t-shirt - it goes with just about anything.
                      I could understand if someone was putting Fender logos on em, but realistically, there's no financial harm in letting others use the design. If the logo says Sully or Charvel or GMW, obviously it's not made by Fender, and if someone wanted a Fender, they buy a Fender. If someone doesn't want a Fender, but wants one that LOOKS like a Fender, where's the harm? Yeah Fender loses a sale, but they lost the sale anyway by not having a wide enough range to satisfy every player - all companies lose sales for the same reason, so what's the big deal? I'd love to have it fully explained instead of just using vague terms like "diluting the trademark" and such - diluting it in what way? In specific terms, please, with documentation to support those claims.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

well, that little headstock is trademarked and part of strat guitars.....they are just trying to protect their interest and the strat name and its place in history...doesnt matter if you agree with it, they were the first to have it and first to do a lot of things for guitars.....unless you have a liscense(which they do not issue anymore), you cannot legally make a strat head neck.....whether its sold or has a logo or anything....now, as for gmw, im sure they got word to watch out since fender is lurking in jackson's bid'ness now.....i know a lot of people that still make them, i know i do, but we dont advertise them or even speak about them too loud as to stay under the radar......and i know a lot of you love gmw and i hate to burst your bubble, but those necks look an aweful lot like another licensed companies necks.....for sure they are cnc machined, look closely next time at the heel and the back of the headstock....

Comment

I don't know what you are hinting at, but GMW's necks are NOT made by another company. Doug, if you want the info email me.

Comment

IIRC, Warmoth and GMW both pay Fender for use of the headstock. It would NOT be in Fenders best interest to get picky about GMW anyway. Jackson and GMW sort of 'share' Dan Lawrence, and GMW helps with a lot of the Jackson customs.

GMW's necks are most likely machined to a certain point, then hand finished. This is the way that most necks are done now. You shave off a ton of time, and you have skilled craftsmen doing the important part, the final shaping.

Comment

Working...
                            X