Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best neck Finish... Oil, or Satin?

Kinda curious.

For a future endeavour im curious if im safe with some tung oil and wazx, or if I should send it away for a professional satin job. I have heard that Satin is more reliable in the long run and just as smooth.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Re: Best neck Finish... Oil, or Satin?

ya, i think Satin is more reliable than a raw oiled neck. It may not be as slippery and fast, but atleast it'll seal the neck.

Comment

Cool Kamo.

Out of curiosity. How much do you think it would cost for a fellow to get a Jackson SL2H stripped and satin'd on the neck?

Is it possible, or would the ENTIRE guitar need to be refinished?

I LOVE soloists, but I really dont want one with a Painted neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...c;f=7;t=000607

for some info.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 14, 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Lev ]

Comment

Oil for me.
          www.kiddhavok.com
          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

If you're feeling lucky there's a *ton* of good information at: frets.com, Guitar ReRanch (ReRanch 101 is a must read if you're thinking about doing it yourself), and the Musical Instrument Maker's Forum.
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

my andersons are sealed, and i'm digging them. my pointy charvel is oiled, and is a little more prone to weather changes and the neck shrinking with the humidity changes. a well sanded oiled neck will be really smooth anyway, just the whole going wacko with weather changes is what bothered me.

dave

Comment

I start with 2 coats of rubbed in linseed oil. Make sure you let it sit wet for around 10 minutes between coats and then rub it in and make sure there are no wet spots because they will get sticky. Let it dry completely overnight. Next day apply 1 or 2 coats of tung oil and rub it in. DONE!! In my experience the Linseed oil conditions and seals the neck and the tung oil gives it that nice patina and smoothness. You will need to periodically re-oil it with tung oil or lemon oil but only a few times per year unless you play or live in an extreme environment.

Comment

a satin finish neck IMO is as good or better than oil. the ST-3s with the unfinished/oiled feel is actually a satin finish from what i was told. a satin finish is just a very light laquer that absorbs into the wood & seals it. ive had ST-3s for years & never oiled or did anything to maintain the neck & they were all fine. & they didnt get dirty & stained like the oiled neck do.

Comment

I'm with Terrax. I love the feel of an oiled neck, just like others. But the marginal "feel" thing isn't a big deal to me, and IMHO isn't worth the higher maintenance and long-term risks.

To each his own, though.

Comment

If you decide to do the neck strip to oil, let me know as I can do that for you. I've done four so far.

Comment

Cool Chuck!

I'll definately keep that in mind if I decide to go down that route! I've seen your work, so I'd feel safe sending it to ya.

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

the linseed oil(boiled) and tung oil combo is overkill....there isnt a need for both...both can be buffed to a high sheen

what im into now is the ernie ball finish; gunstock oil and wax......work in about 4 coats of gun stock oil and the finish with some wax.....awesome playing surface

Comment

Another option to tung or linseed oil is Danish Oil. There are different forms Danish oil out there but it usually consists an oil/varnish blend. The advantage of using an oil/varnish blend is that it will seal the neck and should feel similar to tung oil. I haven't used it personally but I know that other guys on the board (sully has used it I think) have used it with good results. Polymerized oils such as Tru Oil (Gunstock oil) will also do a better job of sealing than raw oils.

I recently went over my JJ1 with a few new coats of tung oil and cabinet makers wax. That finish has worked well for me.

My father has actually finished canoe paddles in tung and tru oil with good results. This leads me to believe that moisture shouldn't be a huge issue if the finish is properly maintained. I'm sure that someone with more experience with oil finished necks could give you better information on this.

Comment

Working...
                            X