Wolfgang Korean vs USA shootout!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolfgang Korean vs USA shootout!!!

Well, I just picked up another Wolfgang Special. This time it is a 1998 USA made goldtop with the Floyd and the Drop D tuna to go along with my 2002 Korean QT quilt top Exp Special. Here is my Korean vs USA shootout:
    USA Floyd Trem has a REAL brass block!!!
    Korean has a cast block.
    The Korean has a collared whammy bar that has no slop in it when it is screwed in and is at the perfect angle
    The USA has a thread in bar that has tons of slop and had to be bent slightly to achieve the proper angle. I used teflon tape around the threaded bar and screwed it in and the slop is gone.
    Neck profile on the USA is identical to the Korean QT
    The Korean sounds better in the bridge position
    The USA sounds better in the neck position
    The tuners are better on the Korean
    The fit and finish is better on the Korean
    The unfinished oiled neck on the USA looks nicer but the Korean sealed neck is smoother.
    For over all tone, both guitars sound very different!
    USA Wolf is slightly nasal sounding but very clear. It has a very balanced tone.
    Korean Wolf is slightly dark sounding and it has a lot of bottom to it.
    Who wins?? The Korean edged out the USA. It would win hands down if it had the USA's trem. Heck, Peavey should make them in the USA anyway.

Re: Wolfgang Korean vs USA shootout!!!

This is the best testament as to why you should buy the EB/MM EVH I've ever read [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have never been a fan of any Ernie Ball products. I don't even like their strings. Overpriced and overhyped IMHO. They can be compared to G&L in regards to their pricing structure. Sure, most EBMM owners have to justify their overpriced $1500.00+ EBMM purchase by bashing the Peavey wolfs. It is the exact same thing that G&L owners do to Fender owners. My shootout is just info for the many Peavey Wolfgang owners who might be deciding whether to get a USA special or an import quilt top. These are $600-$750 dollar guitars. Most people trying to make this decision are not including a $1500.00 + EBMM as an alternative. Its all in how the guitar feels and sounds anyway and I like both my Korean and my USA specials. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

What kind of amp you playing through? I've played both a the store and a special always wins against the korean.
        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Carvin Quad X, Peavey sixty/sixty power amp, rocktron intellifex pumped through 2 Randall bottoms loaded with ALtec Lansing 300w whiteframes.

Comment

i thought those were made in viet nam...peavey is having a bunch of guitars made there now.....in some ways the vietnamese are making better guitars

Comment

reading the review makes ME want to get and put a original floyd on it [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Rich, the Korean quilt top is my favorite out of all my Wolfs. The punch and bottom end of this guitar is awesome. It is also alot heavier than my other wolfs. The USA trem on it would be nice though. I don't know if you saw my thread regarding the squealing pickups but did your Dimarzio's squeal in your EBMM?? I put them in the wolf and they squeal like a stuck pig. They sound fantastic at low volumes on my practice amp but my live rig turns them into sirens. None of my other wolfs or other guitars squeal.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                  Rich, the Korean quilt top is my favorite out of all my Wolfs. The punch and bottom end of this guitar is awesome. It is also alot heavier than my other wolfs. The USA trem on it would be nice though. I don't know if you saw my thread regarding the squealing pickups but did your Dimarzio's squeal in your EBMM?? I put them in the wolf and they squeal like a stuck pig. They sound fantastic at low volumes on my practice amp but my live rig turns them into sirens. None of my other wolfs or other guitars squeal.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had no problems with my marshall at practice? we play LOUD! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] are you using a amp or a rack?

[ June 06, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: RICH R ]

Comment

Used G&L Strats go for around $500. That's tough to beat. Give me a Legacy or a Hamer Daytona over a recent USA Strat any day.

Comment

Working...
                    X