Ibanez RG550 vs. Charvel Model 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG550 vs. Charvel Model 6

How do these guitars compare? Versatility, used price, dependabiblity, neck, bridge.

Re: Ibanez RG550 vs. Charvel Model 6

I'm usually the first to defend Ibanez as being quality guitars that totally rock, but in this case, the RG is way out of its league...........

Comment

You're comparing a bolt on Ibanez RG 550 with a maple board to a neck thru Model 6 with a rosewood board. Which do you prefer?

Comment

I have owned both, and still have the Model 6. The RG 550 wasn't a bad guitar, but I think the Model 6 is a higher quality axe and is worth more. (just the fact that it's a neck-thru makes it a bit more expensive) I also prefer the active electronics that come in the Model 6. I didn't really care for the sound of that Ibanez, and the necks are a bit too wide for me. But this is all personal preference. You might like the RG more.
        Dana <~~~
        Carvin V220 seeks good home.....Word?? hehe [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Hmm.
          Not really a fair comparison when you consider it's a neck thru compared to a bolt on.
          Now, if you compare a similar Charvel to the RG550, I'd say the Ibanez would be a better choice, but then again it's all in individual preference.
          Now - One thing that the Model 6 has against it in my opinion is the individual toggle switches for the pickup selection, I hate that.
          The Edge tremolo is far superior in my opinion to the stock bridge in the Charvel. Actually, as much as I love Floyd Roses, the Edge trem is a better trem in my opinion. Stock pickups being compared, I'd have to say the Ibanez has the edge there, the stock pickups in the Charvel are typically a little too muddy for my taste.
          If I were given the chance to get one or the other, the Ibanez would be my choice, just cause I love the necks and the trems.

Comment

i dont know about the ibanez but the model6 is a great guitar. ive owned my since its was new in 87. the JT-6 trem is fine & i dont see how its any better or worse than the edge. ive actually cracked an edge trem base plate on an old ST-3. Pickups are secondary to me since i usually change them out unless its a collectable. another thing i can say about the model6, I BEAT THE SH•T out of mine & its still one of the best playing & cheapest guitar i have.

Comment

I had a late 80's rg550 in shocking pink before I bought my shocking pink jem, and they're basically the same guitar minus the claw, mokey grip and dimazio's. The only thing I can say I didn't like about it was the trem's and the pu's sound like ass warmed over. The necks are like butter, mine was well worn in and played its self. Accorse I was surprised both guitars surrvived shipping 2 times after all the ibanez necks I've see break. I loved everything on a 6 but the toggle switchs, and you can hardley ever find a cool color. As far as my playing style I would go with the 6, but if it wasn't for the stupid trem on the rg it would be close. I would say if you go for the rg go for a late 80's one in Dessert sun yellow, orange or shocking pink. I've never played a bad 6 though before and the same can't be said for the ibanez. I've played some CRAPPY rg's.
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I agree that this is an unfair comparison. Having said that, I don't like the pickups and trem on the Model 6, but it's a guitar that's worth throwing money at with upgrades.

Sean.

Comment

Model 6 all the way! Much more substantial guitar, nothing against the Ibanez, but the Model 6 is the poor man's Soloist, while the RG550 is the rich man's RG270! Two different worlds!

Comment

Originally posted by syrinx:
                    Model 6 all the way! Much more substantial guitar, nothing against the Ibanez, but the Model 6 is the poor man's Soloist, while the RG550 is the rich man's RG270! Two different worlds!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, an RG270 is more similar to an RG570 than a RG550.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    No pickguard on the RG270's.

Comment

I had a pretty sweet '87 Model 6. I thought the pups were decent sounding (but middle pickups sometimes piss me off!), really liked the midboost, I absolutely loved the 3 on/off switches for the pups! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] The JT6 trem I thought was also very good and liked the fine tuners on the back. I've now got a Model 5A which feels exactly the same, same neck profile, but it's only got one humbucker.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I own a Platinum 650 XL which is basically the continued model 6 and my brother used to own an RG550 in Desert Sun Yellow. I have to say that the RG was definitely not to my liking. The neck was extremely thin, so much so that it was difficult for me to play for extended periods of time. I actualy prefer the Schaller trem on my Charvel over the Edge that was on the Ibanez (can't really explain why, just personal preference). The pickups on both left a lot to be desired which is why I swapped a set of Duncans in my 650. Something you might not be aware of though, almost all used RG's and JEM's have a finish crack at the neck joint. It doesn't affect playability at all, just cosmetics. So if you're looking for a mint RG, you probably won't find one without the crack. For some reason, they all do that (at least that is what I was told by someone who collects JEM's) For my money, the Charvel is the better way to go. It just always felt more solid to me. The Ibanez felt like a toy, not like a guitar.

Comment

I agree with the word "sterile."

Comment

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                            I'll probably have my ass kicked by some of you, but here is my take. I don't know how you can even group a comparison between Ibeenhad to Jackson. There is NO comparison. I have really nothing against Ibanez, I just don't like how they sound or feel, they feel sterile, for lack of a better word. I believe that Charvel/Jackson's imports are better quality and value than a (God forgive me) comparitive Ibeenhad. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X