Picture of Mustaine's new ESP DV8 on ESP's website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Picture of Mustaine\'s new ESP DV8 on ESP\'s website

Well, the guitar DOES have bevels, but they are not the same as a KV. I own an ESP LTD V-350 which is the same exact body style as the DV8, but it has a licensed floyd instead of string thru(which are on the V-100 models). Anyways, I own a KV2 and the LTD, and the LTD is A LOT bigger than the KV2. They both play great, but I prefer the KV2 because it is a little smaller for me. I really like both guitars, but I actually think the V-350 looks better than the DV8(because it has arrowhead inlays instead of dots). If I had to pick a Mustaine model, I'd choose a KV1, then a DV8, and then a Y2KV. I just thought those were ugly as sin...of course the DV8 ain't much prettier. I'd definitely buy a DV8 if it had something besides dot inlays and a choice in different finishes. I don't mind the pickguard, but I prefer the standard ESP logo and I am glad Dave is back to pointy guitars. And yes, the guitar is HUGE. The LTD makes me look like a midget whereas the KV2 makes me look normal. Anyways, it's good to see Dave back.
    [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
      What's next??? Marty with an ESP Kelly?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed! That would be an utter atrocity. Same with an ESP Warrior. They're two Jacksons that incorporate the Jackson pointy head in their body designs. To put an ESP headstock on Jacksonhead-bodied guitars would be sacrilegious. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Hm, I have two string-thru Jacksons and a Grass Roots Explorer.
        My Jacksons sustain at least twice as long as the Explorer... on the other hand, the quality also is at least twice as good. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, as I already stated on the Metallica board, I really think my KVX10 looks better than that...
        sharkfin inlays, no pickguard, Jackson headstock, and most important: The real KV shape!

I've seen that ESP KV ripoff shape in reality, and I just don't like it. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Well, since Marty's with IBANEZ you don't have to worry about an ESP Kelly! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
          A new mutant Iceman or Destroyer may be another scary story though! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

ESP's been making copies of all these shapes for awhile now; you're just noticing now because they've snagged some ex-Jackson guys who used those shapes and
          will now continue to with a different sponsor. The guy from Hammerfall has had
          an ESP RR copy for awhile, I know.

They need to "DV8" that model back to the drawing board though! Dave does NOT need to stare at an 8-ball while he's playing! That's f*n DUMB of him AND ESP!

Unless... they WANT him to relapse, OD and die while under contract to ESP! He
          could be their Randy Rhoads - a dead hero! Maybe they ain't as dumb as we thunk they was.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Being a former member here, I remember why I left. You people suck...Dave was the only guy aside from Scott Ian that had any real name recognition and got biz for the Custom Shop. He was the most associated with the King V. Now ya' wanna cry because he left...in case you hadn't paid attention, Jackson has been treating him like crap for several years now. He has said so publicly, even in guitar mags. If he isn't happy about it, he can go. If he has a guitar made by someone else, OH WELL. It's odd that judgements are being made by people playing ****in' KVX10's (wow) on a guitar NOBODY has tried yet. Complaining about stealing guitar shapes and putting different logos on them. How very Fender of you... But what am i saying...it would've happened no matter what company Dave went to. ESP just said, "Give us your ideas" and did it. If Dave's ideas suck to you, well, cool. But the idea behind a signature guitar is the artist's preferences. If Dave wants 7 dollar plugs and holes, he's gonna have 'em. Better to trust the guy with the platinum albums and world-touring experience than someone whining in a forum. A syringe? Gimme a break... Dave doesn't look happy? Did he when he did the Jackson ads? i don't remember a toothy grin behind the Jackson logo in magazines. Flame me all you want. Prove me wrong. I ain't coming back here to read the tears anyway, so say what you will... [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree. Who cares. As long as Jackson is around, and the King V sells well enough, the generally preferred "Mustaine-esque" V will be available, so where's the *****? Oh yeah, people have to ***** about Jackson/Fender artists running off to other companies. Big deal! You know what, even if Fender wants to run Jackson into the ground, that's their business. If Jackson's gone, then what happens? Everybody can stop being so silly about their Jackson-collecting and order their guitars custom from GMW, and just shut up about it all. They make their guitars totally in the build style and quality of Jackson, and they're cheaper on customs to boot. Well, there you go...the perfect alternative company, for people who may be over-stressing about Jackson's future, as if they're watching their mother on her deathbed.

Comment

Evidently humor is wasted on certain former board members.

A few folks posting here seem genuinely angry about Mustaine jumping ship. Me, I couldn't give a rip less. I like some of his music, but it wouldn't make any difference to me if he played a Daisy Rock. Now making jokes about Mustaine's (hopefully) past drug use--*that's* something I can dig my teeth into!

Also, the real joke is that ESP can produce inferior imitations of Jackson designs in a Japanese or Korean factory and charge a lot more money for them--and TOTALLY SUCCEED!! That issue has nothing to do with Mustaine, or any other artists ESP has lured away with big cash prizes. And yes, I'll come right out and say it--ESPs do not play or sound as nice as Jacksons. And I've tried out a fair number of both. If I were willing to fork over $3000 to the ESP custom shop, maybe they could make me a guitar that played as nice as an SL2H, but why would I do that when I can get a real SL2H for $1200?

I do wonder how the demise of Mars Music has affected ESP--Guitar Center doesn't carry them.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                  I wonder if the Samick factory in Korea has its own special forest of really bad tonewoods?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bwahahahahaha! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That guy's anger makes me happy. Dave's moving along to ESP did not turn me into a Dave basher, in fact I find personal growth beautiful. I don't give a damn what Dave plays, I'm a Carvin/Jackson/Kramer fan for life and no gutiarist is gonna change my opinion.

Sure I don't have the highest opinion of ESP, but that started way before Dave left. What I do admire ESP for is their exilent marketing, they sell these over priced (honsetly most guitars are though) instruments at a really brisk rate even though their product is in the eyes of many sub-standard.

Yeah Dave's new gutiar bears more than a passing resemblance to his older Jackson model but V shaped guitars do nothing for me, him playing a Jackson V or an ESP V does not make me want to go out and buy one.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

The mention of the ESP V-350 makes me wonder: Is the DV-8 neck-thru or set-neck? The V-350 was a set-neck guitar with a mahogany body--very different than a KV, in actuality.

There was a V-350 sitting in a local used guitar store in this area for quite awhile. One of the deadest planks of wood I've ever played. If that was mahogany, it had to be some of the worst I've ever encountered. I wonder if the Samick factory in Korea has its own special forest of really bad tonewoods?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Of course, one of the knocks I've heard on the Samick-made stuff is that they are wildly inconsistent. Perhaps there are V-350s out there that sound great, but not the one I played.

Also, my biggest knock on ESP (all of 'em, not just the LTDs) is that they do really "square" fretjobs that don't play nearly as smoothly as the cheapest Jackson. It seems to be a company trait--every single ESP I've played had those type of frets. They are not poorly finished frets, just a different style, I guess. If that weren't the case, I might be more inclined to buy one--or if they were going to throw buckets of money at me, like Dave.

Comment

Do you think he's starting to look a bit like David Coverdale in that shot?
                        Oh yeah,the guitar REEKS!

Comment

Originally posted by fenderisajoke:
                          It's odd that judgements are being made by people playing ****in' KVX10's (wow) on a guitar NOBODY has tried yet.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, as you can see in the quote below, I only judged the LOOK of it... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                          I've tried several ESP guitars in the past, and they were decent (though their necks didn't suit me well), but waaay overpriced. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

and for the record, here's a pic of my KVX10:
                          http://www.angelfire.com/music5/flyi...VX10_ganz2.jpg

BTW, as I already stated on the Metallica board, I really think my KVX10 looks better than that...
                          sharkfin inlays, no pickguard, Jackson headstock, and most important: The real KV shape!

I've seen that ESP KV ripoff shape in reality, and I just don't like it.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Being a former member here, I remember why I left.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It doesn't really look like you left. Looks like you just chose another name to hide behind.
                            Dave was the only guy aside from Scott Ian that had any real name recognition and got biz for the Custom Shop
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whatever.....
                            Flame me all you want. Prove me wrong. I ain't coming back here to read the tears anyway, so say what you will...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why did you come back in the first place? What a tool. BTW nice profile, Luthier my ass. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by fenderisajoke:
                              A syringe? Gimme a break...
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That was a joke, moron! [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
                              Besides, at the time Megadeth disbanded due to Dave's "injury", the news story I heard on the radio was Dave relapsed back into drugs and was back in rehab and injured himself in there. Whatever. Anyway, please stay here with us on our board... it just won't be the same without you! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like it. Looks like a mix of King V with a 58 Gibson V (pickguard influence/ string thru) For some reason I like this ESP headstock in the reverse position though. Would love to see a white korina version. Would pass on the $4,500 price tag!!! Maybe no net markers, just some side dots in binding also. Man Igotta finish that Korina V I'm working on........

Comment

Working...
                                X