Hamer pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer pickups

I have a Hamer Chaparral Custom that is a HSS configuration and the 3 mini toggle switches. When I use the single coil pickups there is a huge decrease in volume. It this supposed to happen. Right now I have the 2nd rhythm channel of my Boogie set at a higher volume to compensate.
    Would switching to different pickups cure this? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Thanks

Re: Hamer pickups

How are your switches wired? I have the same guitar that I put a set of Duncans in (JB bridge and 2 Li'l 59's). When I had that done I had the switches wired to on/off/split coil so I could get some variety of tones. I don't notice a large difference in volume. Also, are they the original pickups? A lot of single coils are much more quiet than humbuckers. Just a thought.

Comment

That's normal on guitars with a mixture of single coils and humbuckers. The 'Lil 59s are way higher output even split that a normal "vintage" type single coil.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to put new pickups in and was going to put a JB in the bridge, and was wandering what to put in the center and neck so I would not have the drastic drop. I like the idea of the ones you are using, Thanks

Comment

80's you may want to check out whats in the bridge, the 2 USA hamers ive had from the 80's both had Duncans JB's, my scepter V had a JB in the birdge & neck.

Comment

Yeah, I believe most Hamers came with a JB in the bridge. I had the JB/'59 combo in my '95 Special, both non-logoed, that I replaced with EMGs. There should be a sticker on the back of the pickup that designates what model it is.

[ May 28, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll take a look, no need to buy a new pickup if it already has it.

Comment

I believe that the original pickups for a mid-80's Chapparal were either OBL or German made Hamer Slammer pickups. This is what I read when I researched the Chapparal I got. All I know is that mine did NOT have Duncans in it already. On a side note, a lot of 80's Hamers used Dimarzios. I don't think they switched to Duncans exclusively until the early 90's (although I could be mistaken).

Comment

Working...
                X