PRS Singlecut-Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Singlecut-Opinions?

To any who have played PRS Singlecuts...what is your experience with them? Describe the positives and negatives and give lots of detail. I'm seriously considering buying a PRS Singlecut but I'm not quite sure yet and I need some opinions. Thanks.

Re: PRS Singlecut-Opinions?

I haven't owned one, but I played a bunch before buying my PRS McCarty. They are very nice guitars like all PRS...great fit and finish, excellent quality of woods, very in-tune sounding due to the compensated nut. Nice pickups, electronics, fretwork, etc.

The SC is a very thick sounding guitar with a generous dose of mid-range. If you play with a lot of gain they sound a bit soupy and compressed to my ears, which is good or bad depending on your taste. They are a bit mushier on the low strings than other PRS in my opinion, but sustain like crazy if that's your thing. I think the SC sounds great for semi-crunch types of tones that aren't heavily distorted.

The only things that kept me away from an SC are that they are pretty heavy guitars and I think the customs / McCartys have a snappier attack and better playability high on the neck. They are still great, though, just a matter of taste.

Comment

I bought one about three months ago. It's my #2 guitar. My SL2H is my #1. It's my favorite out of all the PRS models. If you play with high gain though, I would recommend putting a different bridge pickup in. I switched mine out for a JB. The neck on the Singlecut is thick, but also very fast. And my guitar is fairly light compared to other Singles (only 7.5 lbs.)

Comment

Played a # of SC's Have owned a few customs.. I always end up not liking PRS though for some reason. I went to a LP which I prefer to a PRS SC. I actually like Gibsons Double Cuts alot too
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

i picked up a used singlecut or mccarty at a guitar center a few months ago, noodled for 30 seconds, and put it back. i hated the neck heel, and the lack of upper register access. lots love em, i'm not one of em.

and please don't think that i'm anti "anything not jackson"....far from it.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've played a PRS singlecut in a store a while ago and I really didn't like it. I played through a Dual Rectifier so the tone was there. It just didn't feel right. I don't mind the weight of the guitar. It just didn't feel right. I really don't know how to explain it. However, if you're in the market for a single cut, you might look into a Hamer Monaco. I played one of those and if I had the money, I would have bought it then and there. Much better feel. The neck was smooth and straight, with a good amount of wood (not too thick, just right). The fit and finish were also very very good. It was a better guitar than any of the Les Pauls I have played. The tone was thick and tight at the same time. In my opinion better than the PRS. Not saying that the Single cut wasn't a nice guitar, it just didn't fit me well.

Comment

i had a single cut 10 top birds the whole 9, for about a month. it was nice i guess. when i got it it had a jb in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. it sounded thin so i swaped them out for the stock ones. still thin! maybe thicker strings thin! ok not digging a 2500 dollar guitar thats so thin no acess to the higher frets real combersome bought a jackson soloist and a king v THICK! big huge monster my advice is for the money buy a real nice jackson. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              Here I am

Comment

They're probably nice guitars, but the fact that every single new band that comes out has a guitar player using one would be reason enough for me to not give them a second glance.

Comment

Dont laugh, but I had a Mark Tremonti signature series for a little while and that thing sounded real sweet. I couldnt deal with having the little Mark Tremonti inlay on the 12th Fret so I had to sell it. I wouldnt mind picking up another single cut style PRS again though.
                  www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

I'd also suggest trying a Terry McInturff Taurus model. They can be had for the same $ (less or more depending on finishes and top wood grade) if not less, and are awesome quality instruments. They are very complex sounding, and alive. The PRS singlecut just sounds too dead to me. Great build, but I just couldnt get with the tone. Also, the TCM is a lot more versitile with its 5 way swich, and cool switching options. IMHO, these guitars are as good as it gets. Heres a pic of one of mine just in case you are unfamiliar with them. Also, my avatar is one of my other ones.

[ May 31, 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: danhops ]

Comment

I 2nd the Hamer Monanaco, much better guitar than the PRS and less money!! Hamer USA guitars are way underrated and priced right and they come out of the little shop they have right [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

any PRS is going to be nice. the craftsmanship and materials are top notch. I would seriously consider taking a custom 24 or a CE24 over a singlecut. the custom and CE series guitars have a greater range of sounds and the body shape is more comfortable and balanced. My Jackson SL1 has a faster neck (flatter radius and bigger frets) than my PRS, but the PRS is better in most other respects (fatter tone, more overtones, better intonation, more sustain, best volume balance across the strings in the industry) and the neck is plenty fast in it's own right. Plus with the 5 way pickup selector, the range of good sounds is outstanding: fat heavy crunch, ringing out of phase sounds, bluesy claptonish les paul type sounds etc. The Single cut is more Les Paul like, (thicker body) but I find it less versatile, a bit uncomfortable and the neck profile isn't as comfortable as the other two. If you like Jacksons, you will probably favor the CE's and Custom series.

Comment

Working...
                        X