EVH wolfgang pu's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH wolfgang pu's?

I just got a set of these that i traded for dimarzio/EBMM EVH's. my question is does anyone know why VH made the change from the more transparent dimarzio bridge model(kind of P.A.F like with a lot of "cut" to the higher output,more bassy wolf bridge pup? the neck models are very similar on both guitars,but the bridge one is a bit different,i find the peavey to have a more "heavy metal tone" or something? I thought that the older you the less gain you like,ED is going backwards [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    how do you guys make out getting a OLD pre 84 VH tone from your wolf bridge pup?

[ May 30, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: RICH R ]

Re: EVH wolfgang pu\'s?

On my Wolfgang I just step on my MXR phase 90 and crank my delay up to 300ms with a splash of large hall reverb and POOF!! instant early Ed. I do adjust my EQ a little. I have to lower the bass and increase the mids a little. My current set up does not have a resonance control like my 5150 did. That control really did get you from old Ed to new Ed with a flick of the dial. His sound was loaded with effects and was was alot more "loose" in the old days. It is much more toneful, tighter and articulate now. It took me around 2 weeks for me to get used to the Wolfgang pickups. I still wasn't convinced that they sounded that good until my first practice playing my 2 wolfs. After many compliments from my bandmates I started to get the hint. Then my other guitar player grabbed my Goldtop off the stand and started playing it on our final 2 songs and he was blown away. It actually smoked his Les Paul and cut through better than any guitar he owns (and he has alot of really nice stuff). Now he is looking to get one. I am looking for a 3rd one. Maybe a archtop stoptail in gloss ivory.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
      On my Wolfgang I just step on my MXR phase 90 and crank my delay up to 300ms with a splash of large hall reverb and POOF!! instant early Ed. I do adjust my EQ a little. I have to lower the bass and increase the mids a little. My current set up does not have a resonance control like my 5150 did. That control really did get you from old Ed to new Ed with a flick of the dial. His sound was loaded with effects and was was alot more "loose" in the old days. It is much more toneful, tighter and articulate now. It took me around 2 weeks for me to get used to the Wolfgang pickups. I still wasn't convinced that they sounded that good until my first practice playing my 2 wolfs. After many compliments from my bandmates I started to get the hint. Then my other guitar player grabbed my Goldtop off the stand and started playing it on our final 2 songs and he was blown away. It actually smoked his Les Paul and cut through better than any guitar he owns (and he has alot of really nice stuff). Now he is looking to get one. I am looking for a 3rd one. Maybe a archtop stoptail in gloss ivory.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks JG,i will have to do some more experimenting i guess? I use a marshall(plexi re-issue) that was modded for more gain by a guy named david bray,and it has the old VH tone. I like the extra power the wolf pups have,but i may need to try a out board EQ now. I heard ED used a MXR EQ(the little six band?)
      I may start to back off the gain as well on the plexi. it sounded clearer with the dimarzio's,but i think that it can be as clear with the wolfs with some tweaking. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The MXR blue box EQ is really great but it can't be turned on and off. I would suggest the Boss GE-7. It is just as good and it is true bypass with its on and off switch. A great EQ for sure.

Comment

What do you think about the music man pups?I had a older vh music man and really loved the sound of the pups.Does anyone know if you can buy them.It used to be that you can only get them in the guitar.They told me they will not sell the pups seperately.I never played the newer wolfgang model.I always thought they didnt stand up next to the musicman.

Comment

Originally posted by parntz145:
            What do you think about the music man pups?I had a older vh music man and really loved the sound of the pups.Does anyone know if you can buy them.It used to be that you can only get them in the guitar.They told me they will not sell the pups seperately.I never played the newer wolfgang model.I always thought they didnt stand up next to the musicman.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My dimarzio's that i traded were good,and the neck one was pretty much the same as the wolf neck pup(very similar) the bridge dimarzio is a lot more open sounding compared to the wolf(more like a PAF) the wolf bridge pup is bassy,hot,and is kind of like the duncan Custom-custom,it has that type of tone. my band says i was crazy to get rid of the dimarzio's,they liked them more than me! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            and the thing that really throws me off is how peavey put a hotter neck pup in the wolfgang? it is 16.8K comapred to the 14.5K bridge wolf? i talked to peavey about this and it is the way EVH wanted it? on the dimarzio's the neck was NOT as hot as the bridge one. I was always thought that the neck should be either the same output or less for a good balance in volume when going from neck to bridge [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] i set the wolf neck pup real far from the strings for this balance.

[ June 02, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: RICH R ]

Comment

Working...
            X