No More Dan-O Guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Dan-O Guitars...

Danelectro has ceased production, distribution and plans for any more Danelectro guitars.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I love those things! They're so light and fun!

Re: No More Dan-O Guitars...

So does that mean my Korean DC-3/12-string is gonna skyrocket in value? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Sad indeed seeing as they're been around for so long (in name, anyway).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That is sad.
      What about the mini pedals? I almost got one, but rejected it because it's made in China.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Those mini pedals kick ass! Especially for the price. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Word is that the pedals and mini amps are still being mfg'd, but all guitars and full size amp production has ceased...there are no parts, or warehoused guitars, whats left at the dealers all that's left. Hmmm... sounds kinda weird... almost like someone paid them to NOT make guitars.

I have a DC12 and a DC Bass. No complaints...the bass is super light and ringy in sort of a Violent Femmes way, and the 12 string has taken 3 years of weekend gigging and I'm not exactly calm on stage. I'll miss these well built, but inexpensive, guitars in their fun shapes and colors.

Comment

They flooded the market with these guitars. I am not surprised they are stopping.

Comment

I still wanna know who do I take mine to for humbucker routing - a luthier or a custom countertop shop? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hmmmm - I wonder if Line 6 had anything to do with it because of their Variax? Isn't it made from the same material (which I can never remember the name of)? Bakelite? Some kinda polyresin crap [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

[ July 25, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i thought it was masonite... bakelite is what the old fender plastic stuff was made of.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

IIRC, they're made from Mother of Countertop.
                  [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

probably!

i've got one of their baritones, and while it's not a main player, it sounds cool, and mean as hell distorted. whoda thought?

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I had a '55 U2 (it was made in the first batch, which was made in 1955, but the model was officially introduced in 1956). I must say that other than the beauty of the rosewood on the old one, the new ones actually played and felt better. The old ones had the thinnest necks that had no adjustable truss rods. The tone was very comparible to each other as well.

Have any of you guys ever opened one of those lipstick pickups up to work on them? My god, what a mess they are inside!

Comment

jim, that's a cool guitar, there!

never tore open a lipstick pickup, but i do like the way they sound... i gotta change the baritone's (which looks basically just like your u2) strings soon, so maybe i'll have a looksee when i do.

sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, it was a cool guitar. It lives in Japan now. I wish they replicated the logos of the early ones. They put the decals on a piece of shaped clear plastic and screwed it to the face of the headstock. It was pretty cool looking.

I am not sure how the new pickups look inside. The old ones had layers of electrical tape and winding wire all wrapped up around the magnet. it is very difficult to fix these when the leads get pulled out. The worst home wiring job I have ever seen was in a Silvertone branded U1. The previous owner attempted to rewire the entire guitar with garbage bag ties!

[ July 25, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

The DC12 is a cool 12 for the money. That one model with the dial-o-matic was cool too. I had wondered the underground hype for these until I tried one..

I would never buy one new, but there was a time when a closeout was around 159.00 new.

I'll keep my eyes open for one...now that they've kicked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
                              The worst home wiring job I have ever seen was in a Silvertone branded U1. The previous owner attempted to rewire the entire guitar with garbage bag ties!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">eek! [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X