Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Lawrence L500XL is a killer pickup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Lawrence L500XL is a killer pickup.

I just got done dropping in a Bill Lawrence L500XL in the bridge of my Dean ML Phantom XT. I was looking for the Dimebag Darrell sound and this helped alot. I'd guess the only thing that would get me any closer would be a Randall Warhead full stack.

Re: Bill Lawrence L500XL is a killer pickup.

Yeah, it is killer.

You'd probably get closer to Dimebag's tone if you had a Randall RG100 or Century 200 head depending on which album you are aiming for.

RG100 - CFH, TGSTK
    Century 200 - VDOP, FBD

I've only ever seen one RG100 for sale, it was asking $350US. Don't know if it sold. Never seen a Century 200, although they are probably out there somewhere.

Comment

I saw an RH100 on E-bay awhile back. Brand new around $350. My CRATE GX212 comes pretty darn close believe it or not. With an EQ and my BOSS MEtal Zone I can nail it enough to make me happy. The RH200 half stack is my next amp though. I can't wait. I'm more into FBD and TGSTK. VDP is a killer album too, but I think Pantera were at their hardest on FBD and TGSTK. All I need to find out now is how Dime gets that crazy sounding squeeling effect. I am thinking it's a Digitech Whammy pedal. I'm not by the way talking about the pinch and/or artificial harmonics squeels. There's a song on TGSTK that Phil screams the lyrics and Dime makes this high pitch shift up and down. It's on the Pantera 3 Watch it Go DVD in the beginning. I would love to have the pedal that does that. I've been into Pantera since they got into the mainstream with CFH in 1990. Now at least I can have an axe and a rig that can emulate the sound alot better than what I used to use back in the day.

Comment

You mean Suicide Note Pt. 2? Yeah, that's a Digitech Whammy that Grady is controlling backstage.

The RG100 and RH100 are different amps. The RG100 is discontinued. I saw one sell for $275, which is around the same price that RH100's go for.

The Digitech Whammy Dime uses is an original, all analog one. These go for $400+ on eBay. The WH-1 reissues supposedly inferior, as they are digital and don't have hardware bypasses.

Comment

Jon yeah its killer i got one in my BICH 10. i was gonna try to help out with your tech ? but mine is wired to a series / parrellel.

go with the RG the are great SS amps & you should be able to find one cheap. between 200 & 300 for a custom color or pattern

Comment

How would an RG100 hold up to a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier?

I'm currently debating over buying an RG100 or saving up for longer and getting the Mesa.

Comment

they are completely different. the randall is solid state, great metal tone good clean but again solid state.
              the mesa is tube & 4X the price.
              you should be able to find a Randall RG100 head for around $200-250 a local studio just sold off 2 of them for 150 & 200. they were all a little beat were missing knobs, & one had no logo, but they both worked fine & sounded fine.

Comment

I have owned a randall cyclone and a mesa triple rect and i would pick the randall over it by a mile , the mesa's are just mud unless you change the tubes and set the bass and mids at like 1 lol.

Comment

I still have a BL500XL left FS. $51 shipped in the USA48.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That's a bummer about the new Digitech. You don't think the new Digitech will work at least enough to get me close? As far as the RH100......YES! It does the job for metal very well. I got to spend some time with one and loved it. It's been 3 days now and I'm still getting a kick out of it big time. My brother is a big Pantera fan and he said it was damn close if not a dead on Dime sound I was getting with the BL500XL. Good stuff. I won't however be putting a BL500XL in everything I have though. I will be getting into a set og EMG's next. I'm thinking an 81/85 combo. Now to find the right axe to drop em in........Hmmmmmmmmm. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X