Are IBANEZ RG's any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are IBANEZ RG's any good?

I would like to get one,but i have benn hearing from many that they are thin in tone due to the ultra thin neck,floating edge trem and they lack sustain because of thier all access neck joint?
    I really like the newest RG 1570
    with a set of quality pickups like seymours or dimarzios,can these get a good tone?

Re: Are IBANEZ RG\'s any good?

All that sustain/tone problems people tell you Ibanez has is just a bunch of BS... in my opinion anyway.

Those are great guitars, but the pickups should be replaced.. but I'd do that on most guitars anyway.

Comment

Yep, I agree with word, however I like the older models, 550, 560, esp. the 560's. now those are some true workhorses. I had an RBM1 that I got rid of, now, I could kick myself every time I think of it. That was one sweet guitar.

Comment

My brother had an RG550 years ago. I played it on occasion and while it wasn't my cup of tea, it was still a well made guitar. I didn't care for the maple fretboard, and Word is right, the pickups need replaced. I think that the pickups are a major complaint in the tone department. The Wizard neck was too thin for my taste, but a lot of people like it. I hear that the Wizard II neck is a little thicker, so take that into consideration when looking to buy. One thing to note on the older Ibanez bolt-ons is that they almost always develop a finish crack at the neck joint. It is purely cosmetic and does not affect playability, but it will appear. Although, I don't know if the same is true for the all-access bolt-ons they make now. I'm not sure about the trems available nowadays, but go for an edge or lo-pro edge if you can. The lo-TRS are crap. Hope this helps.

Comment

The newer Floyd-like trems on the lower end models are GREAT! They stay in tune like no tomorrow. The ones on the S series(low end and high end) have that trem that returns to pitch EVERY single time. It's amazing.

Comment

I want an RG1527 7 string. I want to play one first though. I can't find one anywhere to play. The RGT42FMs looks killer as well. I want to play both of these but no luck yet. I still need around 200 some dollars to get the RG1527. I have no experience with Ibanez, but some of the stuff like the RGTs look real nice. The RGT42 is neck-thru and is around like $677 with hardshell case. Jackson's import neck0thrus are all around 900 to 1000 dollars.

Comment

Dude, if you want an amazing 7 string from Ibanez.. get a 7620 or a 1077XL.. the 1077XLs have a larger scale, but it gives it lower action and they play REAL NICE.. try it out man. They're only like a grand.

Comment

I am like 222 away from 675. I saw a nice 2027 on ebay. Those things have piezo and everything. I wanted something new though. Something I can play and get a feel for the neck before I decide to lay down the cash. Ibanez is the closest thing to what I want without spending a lot lot. If I was going to spend a grand it would probably go for a Carvin DC727. I don't want the greatest 7 string, just something to toy around with. I was looking at the Schecter 007 elite, but I want a trem. I was looking at the Plat pro warlock, I hate the warlock design and the wood is crap. Ibanez has basically what I want in the RG1527.

Comment

Actually I wanna talk some more. I wouldn't mind having used if it was in good shape. I wish I could get a 1527 in black. There is a used 7 string Ibanez at Guitar Center in my town. I picked it up but didn't play it because it was missing the low B string, kinda kills the purpose of having a 7 string. I think it may have been the 7620, it had a trem on it. I am not familar with Ibanez so I have no idea. It was black though. I want a black guitar so I can put red seymour duncans in it. Not sure what I would replace the bridge with, neck would be a Jazz in red. I think that would look pretty cool to have a black guitar with red pick ups. I take lessons at a Guitar Works and they are an Ibanez dealer, so I will see what they have there.

Comment

I've owned a bunch of RG's, including a USRG, and they are well made and great guitars. I prefered the USRG over the lot of them, but even the lesser models were good. I once had an RG110 which was actually pretty good, although it was an old one, so it was still made in Japan back then. Dont like the Korean ones though, they have crap hardware..........

Comment

I had an EX350 a few years ago (baby RG) and it was a killer guitar - too bad the company sucks ass or I wouldn't have switched to Jackson [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I got an Ibanez a few months ago (an RG7620 7-string) and it is pretty cool. The basswood body tone is not that great IMO, but it plays really nice, the Lo-Pro Edge 7 trem does not go out of tune, and the all-access neck joint is great. It's probably the only Ibanez I'll ever own, but I think it's pretty decent overall, especially with the super five-way switch for the two custom DiMarzio humbuckers.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The main thing I truly liked about that Ibanez was that it could get that Satch/Vai singing harmonic thing really easy - even through an old Digitech GSP-21 Legend [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          It was very resonant acoustically as well, which I liked. Bound neck and head, Lazer Blue (the most killer blue I've seen yet), h-s-h, and sharkteeth [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          I had it for 5 years, and tried to buy a replacement trem for it. That's when things went downhill for Ibenhad IMO [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm on my 4th Ibanez. I just bought an Ibanez RG370DX. I guess it's a new model. It has all the cosmetic stuff like neck binding, lightning bolt/sharkfin inlays and a newer version of the Low TRS that is 10 times better than the ones I used to have. I got it as a backup axe and planned on leaving it stock. After spending a few days with it I REALY decided to keep it stock. Sounds great. It has alot of tone options and the Wizard II neck is alot better than the Wizard IMO. Thicker in all the right places. I'd say for a $400 dollar RG Series axe it plays and sounds like it's worth twice that or more. I've owned the RG270DX, RG7421 7 string, RG320 and now the RG370DX. I plan on keeping this one for a while. Good stuff. Jackson being at the top of my list is neck and neck with my DEAN ML, but Ibanez is definately up there and worth a chance. Make sure and play a few if you can get ahold of them. Check em out.

Comment

I own an RG-570 and I'm completely satisfied.
                              No complains about the Edge tremolo sistem...it stays in tune, believe me!...

for other useful info try
                              http://www.jemsite.com

Comment

Working...
                              X