• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALDER vs BASSWOOD?

which has the better resonance,sustain?
    are they at all similar?

Re: ALDER vs BASSWOOD?

Not really similar. Alder will be brighter. Basswood really isn't all that different from mahogany, with a warmer tone than alder but darker depending on the pickups. I prefer to use a medium-output pickup with a fair amount of mids in basswood (Screamin' Demon, JB) for a smoother sound.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone:
      Not really similar. Alder will be brighter. Basswood really isn't all that different from mahogany, with a warmer tone than alder but darker depending on the pickups. I prefer to use a medium-output pickup with a fair amount of mids in basswood (Screamin' Demon, JB) for a smoother sound.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks,i would be using a air zone in the bridge which has a warmer,mid heavy tone with a slightly rolled off treb, so either will work?alder or basswood?

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
        basswood IMO is too light & sounds muddy but thin & kinda toneless.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, my 7-string is definitely strange sounding to me, especially playing it unplugged. The custom DiMarzios in it sound pretty good. The Ibanez is the only guitar I've owned with a basswood body, so I'm not sure if they all sound alike or not. I played an EB Axis one time in GC through a POD, for about 10 minutes, but I really couldn't tell if the basswood was any better.

[ September 02, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Basswood is not light.. it's soft and will dent like a mother. My 2 Model Charvels are a lot heaver than say a normal alder Strat.

Sound wise I'd say basswood is between alder and mahogany.

Comment

i havent seen so much misinformation in one thread in awhile....and im sure this thread will get ugly soon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ive never heard anyone describe basswood as being similar to mohagany....or that its heavy

basswood is:
            cheap
            soft
            lightweight
            thin sounding
            and basic crap [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

go with alder....its THE rock and roll tone wood....lots of mids and enough bottom to smooth it all out

flame on

Comment

I have an S series Ibanez made out of basswood that's heavy as f**k for something its size. Basswood varies GREATLY in weight. That's one of the reasons it's a crappy wood. Alder bodied guitars don't vary much in weight. Maybe 10-15 percent from one guitar to the next (assuming same model, of course). Basswood on the other hand seems like it goes 50% in either direction. I've played some S series guitars that are 6 pounds or so, where mine is closer to 10.

Basswood is also too damn soft. The paint dings WAY too easy because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trillian Guitars:
                i havent seen so much misinformation in one thread in awhile....and im sure this thread will get ugly soon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ive never heard anyone describe basswood as being similar to mohagany....or that its heavy

basswood is:
                cheap
                soft
                lightweight
                thin sounding

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bingo! beat me too it. Basswood is light, dings easy, ultra-cheap and sounds like ass.

[ September 02, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Greg Crowe ]

Comment

I'm stayin right out of this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Trillian Guitars:

basswood is:
                    cheap
                    soft
                    lightweight
                    thin sounding

go with alder....its THE rock and roll tone wood....lots of mids and enough bottom to smooth it all out

flame on
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This isn't a flame, but inthe big ugly poplar vs. alder thread, I thought you said you were using basswood to build your guitars. ???
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Uh oh...

Comment

This is all really subjective, so the best thing for you to do would be to try out two similar guitars, but one made of basswood and one made of alder.

Comment

yes, doug uses/used it as a default choice b/c alder isn't the most readily available wood. i'm sure that doug will speak for himself, though, he certainly doesn't need me to do his talkin! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                            I'm stayin right out of this one...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Dude, you made me choke on my dinner and spit Sprite all over myself! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

joe, you were gonna do that anyway....

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X