Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ALDER vs BASSWOOD?

True... I'm retarded like that anyway! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It was in Tech Q&A, June 17. Early in the thread someone asks if basswood is bad, why does a company like EBMM use it? Doug's answer was that the "big" companies don't care about tonewoods, but about money.

On page 2 of the thread about 3/4 down the page he said he was using basswood. He did say it was a default, and did say he wasn't a fan, but certainly wasn't as descriptive of his feelings about it as he was today.

I would sure feel bad if someone built me a guitar and then I read him saying the wood he used was cheap, soft, lightweight, thin-sounding and basic crap.

[ September 02, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The hell with it.

My vote for best tone wood is chipboard!

Comment

Heavy plywood kicks ass!! Not the light stuff, but the heavier variety. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
          My first "real" guitar was a plywood Kramer 600ST... man, did my DiMarzio X2N sound awesome in that thing but a little too bright and almost brittle in my poplar Charvel Model 5A. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

nuff said

Comment

I have 2 guItars (both Ibanzes)that are Basswood 1 with a PAF Pro pup with 10's and 1 with a Tone Zone with 11's BOTH SOUND GREAT. I have one alder with a jb that aslo sounds great. Every piece of wood will sound differnt. Go with what sounds best to YOU.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                Heavy plywood kicks ass!!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not "plywood"... [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] Bonded Tonewood. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Bonded by what? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Bonded by BLOOD!

Comment

right!
                      and it's an ongoing treatment, due to the poorly dressed frets on your average Bonded Tonewood guitar. So there's a little bit of the owner in the guitar [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

I'd go with alder over (b)asswood any day! Alder and poplar sound similar. I put a Tone Zone in one of my poplar string-thru Dinky guitars not too long ago with a J50N in the neck, and it sounds awesome, especially tuned down to D!

Basswood is darker and doesn't sound that great to me. My Ibanez 7-string is basswood and it really doesn't sound all that great; though, it plays nice. It is lightweight, unlike mahogany which is usually heavier, but I still prefer the sound of mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                          I'd go with alder over (b)asswood any day! Alder and poplar sound similar. I put a Tone Zone in one of my poplar string-thru Dinky guitars not too long ago with a J50N in the neck, and it sounds awesome, especially tuned down to D!

Basswood is darker and doesn't sound that great to me. My Ibanez 7-string is basswood and it really doesn't sound all that great; though, it plays nice. It is lightweight, unlike mahogany which is usually heavier, but I still prefer the sound of mahogany.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have been hearing that i would be much better off with a alder jackson(DXMG or DK-2) over a basswood RG for real good tone?
                          I guess i will order a jackson [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

basswood=asswood, some would disagree but i dont like it. im pretty sure mahogany sounds alot different than basswood. basswood IMO is too light & sounds muddy but thin & kinda toneless.

Comment

is that anything like the vai dna models?

sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have a basswood/maple top USA wolfgang and also a basswood MIJ fat strat. both sound fine,but i figure with ALDER as a body wood it would sound even better?
                                I would think ALDER has better sustain,and a tighter tone? I am thinking of getting either a alder DXMG or a DK-2 also made from alder and putting in better pups.
                                i want a shred guitar that has a faster than hell neck and a real good solid tone for under $500 new
                                I actually want to get away from basswood and get a axe made from alder,so JACKSON is the only logical choice! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X