KH2 keep it or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KH2 keep it or ?

I have a Studio, it kicks ass. Carved maple top, ebony fingerboard, PAFs, block inlays........Studios are the same as the Standard, except they have a plain maple cap, instead of a nice flamed one...........I actually play my Studio more than I play my Custom Ace Frehley.............

Comment

Here's my $.02...

You have a Jackson SL2. Do you like that or the ESP better? That would be where the choice lies as far as I'm concerned. A Les Paul is a truly unique instrument - you can't get LP tone from anything other than an LP. And is a KH really a KH if it isn't neck-thru? Kirk doesn't play bolt-ons that I'm aware of...

As far as the Studio - YES a Studio is a Les Paul!! Absolutely!! The only difference between the Studio and the Standard bascially comes down to a couple things - the top and the binding. Other than that, it's the same guitar. Sounds the same, feels the same. I like my Studios FAR better than I liked my LP Classic.

Keep the LP, keep the Jackson. The ESP isn't even an American guitar for God's sake! Too inflated for my liking...

Comment

Here's my $.02...

You have a Jackson SL2. Do you like that or the ESP better? That would be where the choice lies as far as I'm concerned. A Les Paul is a truly unique instrument - you can't get LP tone from anything other than an LP. And is a KH really a KH if it isn't neck-thru? Kirk doesn't play bolt-ons that I'm aware of...

As far as the Studio - YES a Studio is a Les Paul!! Absolutely!! The only difference between the Studio and the Standard bascially comes down to a couple things - the top and the binding. Other than that, it's the same guitar. Sounds the same, feels the same. I like my Studios FAR better than I liked my LP Classic.

Keep the LP, keep the Jackson. The ESP isn't even an American guitar for God's sake! Too inflated for my liking...

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
          And is a KH really a KH if it isn't neck-thru? Kirk doesn't play bolt-ons that I'm aware of...
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought most of Kirk's guitars were bolt-on.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_olson:
            And is a KH really a KH if it isn't neck-thru? Kirk doesn't play bolt-ons that I'm aware of...
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought most of Kirk's guitars were bolt-on.

Comment

His ESPs that the KH2 is based on (And the KH1, KH3, and KH4) are all neckthru.

Comment

His ESPs that the KH2 is based on (And the KH1, KH3, and KH4) are all neckthru.

Comment

A-yep. Except for the KH2 "Relic" model now, think that's what it's called--it's neckthrough. One of those silly things where they try to make a new guitar look "aged"...they recreate Kirk's old, bashed-up, stickered KH2. Eh, it's about the most lame idea I've heard of, but at least it's neckthrough hehe.

As I understand it, when they first started going through the KH2, they did make some original neckthroughs but, of course, cheaped out in the end. You could and still can, as far as I know, order a KH2 in neckthrough form. I've owned the bolt-on, now I own a neckthrough. Don't guffaw yet, fellas, I got it used a few years ago from a college kid, for about $500 less than a new bolt-on KH2 goes for now HEHEHE!

Funny tidbit...the neck on the neckthrough version is clear-coated. The area where the neck and body join, where the clear transitions to the black, is painted in a really stupid triangular shape. Why? Good question. Funny thing is, if you turn the guitar and look at it from the front, angled, as if you were watching someone play it (especially from below a stage) it LOOKS like a straight, bolt-on joint. ESP is so shady, I've always figured they painted it this way in order to try to trick the uninformed Kirky-wannabe into thinking that Kirk's really playing one of the production bolt-ons. Just my theory--okay maybe conspiracy theory--but it makes some sense, no? Hehehe...

Stu

Comment

A-yep. Except for the KH2 "Relic" model now, think that's what it's called--it's neckthrough. One of those silly things where they try to make a new guitar look "aged"...they recreate Kirk's old, bashed-up, stickered KH2. Eh, it's about the most lame idea I've heard of, but at least it's neckthrough hehe.

As I understand it, when they first started going through the KH2, they did make some original neckthroughs but, of course, cheaped out in the end. You could and still can, as far as I know, order a KH2 in neckthrough form. I've owned the bolt-on, now I own a neckthrough. Don't guffaw yet, fellas, I got it used a few years ago from a college kid, for about $500 less than a new bolt-on KH2 goes for now HEHEHE!

Funny tidbit...the neck on the neckthrough version is clear-coated. The area where the neck and body join, where the clear transitions to the black, is painted in a really stupid triangular shape. Why? Good question. Funny thing is, if you turn the guitar and look at it from the front, angled, as if you were watching someone play it (especially from below a stage) it LOOKS like a straight, bolt-on joint. ESP is so shady, I've always figured they painted it this way in order to try to trick the uninformed Kirky-wannabe into thinking that Kirk's really playing one of the production bolt-ons. Just my theory--okay maybe conspiracy theory--but it makes some sense, no? Hehehe...

Stu

Comment

Interesting. Maybe that's why I always thought they were bolt-ons. Maybe I'm thinking of his old MII, wasn't that a bolt-on?

Comment

Interesting. Maybe that's why I always thought they were bolt-ons. Maybe I'm thinking of his old MII, wasn't that a bolt-on?

Comment

Kirk's have always been like that I think, except maybe his first one. I thought for a while that it might be unfinished, and he digs the feel of that, but then I read in an article that it's finished in clear laquer! Toejam I'm not sure which of Kirk's guitars you're talking about, but almost, if not all, of his ESP guitars used onstage are custom-made and neckthru, except that Wavecaster thing.

Comment

Kirk's have always been like that I think, except maybe his first one. I thought for a while that it might be unfinished, and he digs the feel of that, but then I read in an article that it's finished in clear laquer! Toejam I'm not sure which of Kirk's guitars you're talking about, but almost, if not all, of his ESP guitars used onstage are custom-made and neckthru, except that Wavecaster thing.

Comment

Yeah, ever since I've had the neckthrough KH2 with its funky neck joint paint scheme, I've tried to pay more attention to the videos and concerts with Kirk playing these guitars. If you look at some of the shots--especially flashing by pretty fast--it looks like a straight-cut bolt-on joint there hehehe.

He has played a cheaper bolt-on M2 type guitar sometimes, mostly more recently, when he's about to do something that might screw up the guitar, or bash it up. Pretty sure I saw that on the Cunning Stunts DVD extra junk. They showed him with the bolt-on, trashing it, then a clip of his roadie talking about how they have to keep a lot of the bolt-ons around, and he always has to repair the broken headstocks. Probably while he's doing the formal long guitar solo bit with just the drums backing, I'd guess.

As I remember, Kirk and James' jumped on ESP at the same time, and started showing off their new ESPs at about the same time. The first ESPs I remember them having were Kirk's KH2 and James with his "flipping bird inlays" Explorer, but my memory's not always perfect, and I might have missed something.

A lot of people have said that the KH2 is an M2 with different inlays etc. But, as I recall, I believe the actual "M series" ESPs have always had a scallopped lower cutaway. I could be wrong, that's just how I remember. The KH2, I think, is more along the lines of a fairly straight strat copy. The "M series" are closer to straight Soloist/Dinky ripoffs, with sharper edges and a sharper look. The KH2s I've owned and seen have always seemed more rounded and smooth, in general, to the Soloists I've owned. As I recall, in everything I remember, Kirk refers to the KH2 as a "Strat" and not an "M2". Everything I've ever seen about him seems to say he's a pretty detail-oriented kinda guy, so if it were a straight customized M2, I'd imagine he would refer to it as an M2 in some way, and not a "Strat" yaknow?

He might have had an M2 in there, somewhere, though, I wouldn't be surprised. Especially if there was a time they were evaluating ESP as a company they might want to endorse. Do you happen to remember what the one you remember seeing looked like...inlays and all? It's interesting stuff. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stu

Originally posted by toejam:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Yeah, ever since I've had the neckthrough KH2 with its funky neck joint paint scheme, I've tried to pay more attention to the videos and concerts with Kirk playing these guitars. If you look at some of the shots--especially flashing by pretty fast--it looks like a straight-cut bolt-on joint there hehehe.

He has played a cheaper bolt-on M2 type guitar sometimes, mostly more recently, when he's about to do something that might screw up the guitar, or bash it up. Pretty sure I saw that on the Cunning Stunts DVD extra junk. They showed him with the bolt-on, trashing it, then a clip of his roadie talking about how they have to keep a lot of the bolt-ons around, and he always has to repair the broken headstocks. Probably while he's doing the formal long guitar solo bit with just the drums backing, I'd guess.

As I remember, Kirk and James' jumped on ESP at the same time, and started showing off their new ESPs at about the same time. The first ESPs I remember them having were Kirk's KH2 and James with his "flipping bird inlays" Explorer, but my memory's not always perfect, and I might have missed something.

A lot of people have said that the KH2 is an M2 with different inlays etc. But, as I recall, I believe the actual "M series" ESPs have always had a scallopped lower cutaway. I could be wrong, that's just how I remember. The KH2, I think, is more along the lines of a fairly straight strat copy. The "M series" are closer to straight Soloist/Dinky ripoffs, with sharper edges and a sharper look. The KH2s I've owned and seen have always seemed more rounded and smooth, in general, to the Soloists I've owned. As I recall, in everything I remember, Kirk refers to the KH2 as a "Strat" and not an "M2". Everything I've ever seen about him seems to say he's a pretty detail-oriented kinda guy, so if it were a straight customized M2, I'd imagine he would refer to it as an M2 in some way, and not a "Strat" yaknow?

He might have had an M2 in there, somewhere, though, I wouldn't be surprised. Especially if there was a time they were evaluating ESP as a company they might want to endorse. Do you happen to remember what the one you remember seeing looked like...inlays and all? It's interesting stuff. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Stu

Originally posted by toejam:
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Working...
                                X