• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapman stick

Anyone here ever try one out?
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Re: Chapman stick

Yeah, our booth was located next to the Chapman Stick demo booth at the last Philly show. Pretty neat, and the idea is simple. To really get any real versatility out of it, the guy had a midi modual hooked up, other wise the bass sound was always a slap bass sound due to the percussive means of creating the note. The action is crazy low and the 'frets' are these stainless steel rods set into the neck. It was interesting just to look at. He was telling me the waiting list on new sticks is very long and the best bet was to find them used (the Chapman Stick demo guy actually said this!). I guess if you contact them and tell them you are interested in a used one, they will let you know one one comes in (they get many in trade when people upgrade). They totally recondition the instrument with new finish and new fret rods and sell them for a lower price than the new ones.

Comment

Yeah, our booth was located next to the Chapman Stick demo booth at the last Philly show. Pretty neat, and the idea is simple. To really get any real versatility out of it, the guy had a midi modual hooked up, other wise the bass sound was always a slap bass sound due to the percussive means of creating the note. The action is crazy low and the 'frets' are these stainless steel rods set into the neck. It was interesting just to look at. He was telling me the waiting list on new sticks is very long and the best bet was to find them used (the Chapman Stick demo guy actually said this!). I guess if you contact them and tell them you are interested in a used one, they will let you know one one comes in (they get many in trade when people upgrade). They totally recondition the instrument with new finish and new fret rods and sell them for a lower price than the new ones.

Comment

last year i saw john myung (dream theater) playing one of theese things....crazy, really crazy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] you can (if you are able to!!) play some cool stuff on it but...call me boring but i prefer traditional shapes/constructions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

fragle

Comment

last year i saw john myung (dream theater) playing one of theese things....crazy, really crazy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] you can (if you are able to!!) play some cool stuff on it but...call me boring but i prefer traditional shapes/constructions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

fragle

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle:

fragle
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">John Myung was/is a joke trying to play the Chapman. Saw him(DT concert) here in Seattle a couple of months back. I just burst into laughter looking at that joker attemping to use the chapman stick. (No offence to his fans..but he really SUCK)

There're only a couple of players around that really play the chapman stick well. One is the great Tony Levin [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Just my 0.2cents of crap
              Cham

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle:

fragle
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">John Myung was/is a joke trying to play the Chapman. Saw him(DT concert) here in Seattle a couple of months back. I just burst into laughter looking at that joker attemping to use the chapman stick. (No offence to his fans..but he really SUCK)

There're only a couple of players around that really play the chapman stick well. One is the great Tony Levin [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Just my 0.2cents of crap
                Cham

Comment

John Myung was/is a joke trying to play the Chapman. Saw him(DT concert) here in Seattle a couple of months back. I just burst into laughter looking at that joker attemping to use the chapman stick. (No offence to his fans..but he really SUCK)
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He was only using the chapman stick from a bass players perspective, too kinda get a different feel for that song. For that, he did fine. I like the parts of the song when he plucked the bass string of the stick like a bass, sounded really growly and mean. But yeah, he has yet to prove any real proficiancy on the stick [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . He'll be fine as long as he sticks to bass, which he most certainly does not suck at. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

John Myung was/is a joke trying to play the Chapman. Saw him(DT concert) here in Seattle a couple of months back. I just burst into laughter looking at that joker attemping to use the chapman stick. (No offence to his fans..but he really SUCK)
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He was only using the chapman stick from a bass players perspective, too kinda get a different feel for that song. For that, he did fine. I like the parts of the song when he plucked the bass string of the stick like a bass, sounded really growly and mean. But yeah, he has yet to prove any real proficiancy on the stick [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . He'll be fine as long as he sticks to bass, which he most certainly does not suck at. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X