vintage tone from emg 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: vintage tone from emg 81

I think it really depends more on the amp, your playing, and knowing HOW to get that vintage sound, than the EMGs as pickups, in some respects.

Sure, if you want to completely rule out the guitar as being something hindering you from getting the tone you want, then get a guitar and pickups you KNOW is built for that sound. Makes absolutely the most direct sense. Blues-oriented guitar for blues, Metal-oriented guitar for metal etc.

But it doesn't necessarily mean that other combinations aren't going to give you passable to decent to good to excellent results. The only thing you'd be missing on the EMG-81s would be the characteristics that alnico gave those old pickups. The 85 would be a closer out-of-the-box sound than the 81, but it doesn't mean the 81 wouldn't work. Just plug in and see what it's like...fiddle with the amp controls, and fiddle with the guitar volume and tone. You might get kinda close or you might nail it, but you never know until you try, really.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
      You guys don't experiment with EQ and such very often, do you? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I experiment all the time. Im as big a Gear-head as anyone...... and I stand by my response......
      NOPE [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

You guys don't experiment with EQ and such very often, do you? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I experiment all the time. Im as big a Gear-head as anyone...... and I stand by my response......
        NOPE [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

TJ thats cool, i never would have thought that from the tone. they were stock in an old rich bich i had w/kahler, & mah body wings, so i also used the same setup in a 70's SG. maybe its mahogany or being in the neck but they really didnt seem that bright.

Comment

TJ thats cool, i never would have thought that from the tone. they were stock in an old rich bich i had w/kahler, & mah body wings, so i also used the same setup in a 70's SG. maybe its mahogany or being in the neck but they really didnt seem that bright.

Comment

Yeah, it could be the mahogany body warming it up a little. My Hamer is mahogany body/mahogany neck with 3/8" maple top, and the two 81s in it do sound a little bit warmer in it than I've heard in other guitars that were alder or poplar. I wonder how bright a 60 would be in the bridge position, though.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, it could be the mahogany body warming it up a little. My Hamer is mahogany body/mahogany neck with 3/8" maple top, and the two 81s in it do sound a little bit warmer in it than I've heard in other guitars that were alder or poplar. I wonder how bright a 60 would be in the bridge position, though.

Comment

Yeah everything's gonna make a bit of difference...the mahagony, possibly scale length differences etc. Especially a mahagony neck, that seems to make a huge difference in the sound, to me.

Stu

Comment

Yeah everything's gonna make a bit of difference...the mahagony, possibly scale length differences etc. Especially a mahagony neck, that seems to make a huge difference in the sound, to me.

Stu

Comment

i'm going to say no.
                      i guess in theory you can eq the hell out of anything to make it sound similar. but i still think you should get a tele and a lp for those classic led zep sounds.

Comment

i'm going to say no.
                        i guess in theory you can eq the hell out of anything to make it sound similar. but i still think you should get a tele and a lp for those classic led zep sounds.

Comment

Newc
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This coming from a guy who thinks EMGs will sound the same if you put them on a broom handle, heh? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Newc
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This coming from a guy who thinks EMGs will sound the same if you put them on a broom handle, heh? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

the EMG 60 is the best vintage kinda tone you can get from EMG. when i used EMGs I used either an 85 or 81 bridge & 60 in the neck. its much warmer sounding & not as high output as the 81/85. very nice pickup but no where near a duncan 59 or alinco pro as far as sweet vintage tone IMO.

Comment

the EMG 60 is the best vintage kinda tone you can get from EMG. when i used EMGs I used either an 85 or 81 bridge & 60 in the neck. its much warmer sounding & not as high output as the 81/85. very nice pickup but no where near a duncan 59 or alinco pro as far as sweet vintage tone IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X