vintage tone from emg 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage tone from emg 81

can i get a jimmy page stairway to heaven solo tone out of it if i plug into a marshall 1959slp or 2203

vintage tone from emg 81

can i get a jimmy page stairway to heaven solo tone out of it if i plug into a marshall 1959slp or 2203

Comment

Re: vintage tone from emg 81

NOPE....... and Im as big an EMG fan as anyone......
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

NOPE....... and Im as big an EMG fan as anyone......
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Maybe if you get a Telecaster and one of the Tele pickups that EMG makes.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe if you get a Telecaster and one of the Tele pickups that EMG makes.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You shape an EMG's tone with external EQ and preamp settings, so theoretically it is possible, though your gain settings will have to work with the 81's own gain structure to achieve the correct amount of gain.
              Sort of like not using any other Distortion-class pickup with Max Gain, but rather using less amp gain than you would with a PAF to achieve the same gain characteristics of the PAF.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You shape an EMG's tone with external EQ and preamp settings, so theoretically it is possible, though your gain settings will have to work with the 81's own gain structure to achieve the correct amount of gain.
                Sort of like not using any other Distortion-class pickup with Max Gain, but rather using less amp gain than you would with a PAF to achieve the same gain characteristics of the PAF.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

no.. you need a tele with singles.

Comment

no.. you need a tele with singles.

Comment

You guys don't experiment with EQ and such very often, do you? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

You guys don't experiment with EQ and such very often, do you? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

can it match the tone of a 57 classic,burstbucker 1, or 500t

Comment

can it match the tone of a 57 classic,burstbucker 1, or 500t

Comment

I think it really depends more on the amp, your playing, and knowing HOW to get that vintage sound, than the EMGs as pickups, in some respects.

Sure, if you want to completely rule out the guitar as being something hindering you from getting the tone you want, then get a guitar and pickups you KNOW is built for that sound. Makes absolutely the most direct sense. Blues-oriented guitar for blues, Metal-oriented guitar for metal etc.

But it doesn't necessarily mean that other combinations aren't going to give you passable to decent to good to excellent results. The only thing you'd be missing on the EMG-81s would be the characteristics that alnico gave those old pickups. The 85 would be a closer out-of-the-box sound than the 81, but it doesn't mean the 81 wouldn't work. Just plug in and see what it's like...fiddle with the amp controls, and fiddle with the guitar volume and tone. You might get kinda close or you might nail it, but you never know until you try, really.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X