vintage tone from emg 81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: vintage tone from emg 81

Jamie, the 60 has the brightest attack of any humbucking pickup that EMG makes. It was originally supposed to be featured on Fender's Tele-Elite model as a mini-humbucker, but Fender changed their plans for it and EMG released it in full humbucking size housing. It sounds great in the neck, but not really that warm. I love it in the neck of my Dinky with the 85 in the bridge, as I prefer brighter neck pickups. Check out EMG's site for specs.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Jamie, the 60 has the brightest attack of any humbucking pickup that EMG makes. It was originally supposed to be featured on Fender's Tele-Elite model as a mini-humbucker, but Fender changed their plans for it and EMG released it in full humbucking size housing. It sounds great in the neck, but not really that warm. I love it in the neck of my Dinky with the 85 in the bridge, as I prefer brighter neck pickups. Check out EMG's site for specs.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nope, can't really do it right with EMGs. If you listen to some of the quieter/blusier moments of Zakk Wylde's playing with Ozzy, the EMGs still sound harsh with the volume down IMO, not a good vintage sound at all.

Comment

Nope, can't really do it right with EMGs. If you listen to some of the quieter/blusier moments of Zakk Wylde's playing with Ozzy, the EMGs still sound harsh with the volume down IMO, not a good vintage sound at all.

Comment

Page's studio tone is not easy to achieve, since he and Eddie Kramer spent a lot of time on it--Telecaster, Supro amp turned up as loud as it will go, and lots of strange microphone positioning and utilization of the sonic properties at the Headley Grange manor. Good luck!

A Gibson is alway going to be too thick to achieve the biting lead sounds he had on those first four albums. He didn't really start using a Les Paul in the studio until Physical Graffiti, did he? I know he used it on Presence.

Comment

Page's studio tone is not easy to achieve, since he and Eddie Kramer spent a lot of time on it--Telecaster, Supro amp turned up as loud as it will go, and lots of strange microphone positioning and utilization of the sonic properties at the Headley Grange manor. Good luck!

A Gibson is alway going to be too thick to achieve the biting lead sounds he had on those first four albums. He didn't really start using a Les Paul in the studio until Physical Graffiti, did he? I know he used it on Presence.

Comment

what if i play the 81 through marshall 1959slp or a 2203 set low?can that get a pretty decent tone?thats vintage sounding

Comment

what if i play the 81 through marshall 1959slp or a 2203 set low?can that get a pretty decent tone?thats vintage sounding

Comment

or more like zakk wyldes tone on live and loud on the song goodbye to romance

Comment

or more like zakk wyldes tone on live and loud on the song goodbye to romance

Comment

If you've got access to those amps, experiment with the amp's Gain and EQ and guitar's knob settings and you tell us how close you get [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I can dial that tone in through my ADA and Digitech units, using an 81 in an SL Pro, but if you don't have the same gear and technique I have, that information would be useless.

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you've got access to those amps, experiment with the amp's Gain and EQ and guitar's knob settings and you tell us how close you get [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I can dial that tone in through my ADA and Digitech units, using an 81 in an SL Pro, but if you don't have the same gear and technique I have, that information would be useless.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X