Custom Shop Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Strat

OK guys, I just picked up the following which I'm told *might* be a Fender Custom Shop piece. It looks a lot like a Japanese HM Strat but this one's definitely made in the USA. The problem is, it's absolutely hideous! What should I do with it? Sand it down and do a nice dye sunburst? Send it out for some graphics? Or (shudder) leave it the way it is? Anyone have any thoughts?

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Custom Shop Strat

OK guys, I just picked up the following which I'm told *might* be a Fender Custom Shop piece. It looks a lot like a Japanese HM Strat but this one's definitely made in the USA. The problem is, it's absolutely hideous! What should I do with it? Sand it down and do a nice dye sunburst? Send it out for some graphics? Or (shudder) leave it the way it is? Anyone have any thoughts?

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Re: Custom Shop Strat

Do some research on it. If that is an original finish it is definately custom shop. HM strats were made in the USA too. I have seen many Bud guitars. If you can't handle the finish then sell it to somebody who can. Especially if it is an original factory finish. Is it an 89??

Comment

Do some research on it. If that is an original finish it is definately custom shop. HM strats were made in the USA too. I have seen many Bud guitars. If you can't handle the finish then sell it to somebody who can. Especially if it is an original factory finish. Is it an 89??

Comment

Are you sure the body is even a Fender? Is the graphic original? Your right it is kinda sickening but I would do some more research before painting over what MIGHT be a rare piece! JMHO..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you sure the body is even a Fender? Is the graphic original? Your right it is kinda sickening but I would do some more research before painting over what MIGHT be a rare piece! JMHO..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I can't believe Fender would ever do a finish that hideous, even in the '80s. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I can't believe Fender would ever do a finish that hideous, even in the '80s. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

*Sigh.* I was afraid you guys were going to say that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Yeah, it's an '89 (s/n E9005xx) and I'm fairly certain that it hasn't been refinished. There're some chips through the paint (visible in the photo) and the only thing under this finish is white primer so it's either been stripped and completely redone (why would anyone do this to a guitar?) or it's original.

[ November 09, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: YetAnotherOne ]

Comment

*Sigh.* I was afraid you guys were going to say that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Yeah, it's an '89 (s/n E9005xx) and I'm fairly certain that it hasn't been refinished. There're some chips through the paint (visible in the photo) and the only thing under this finish is white primer so it's either been stripped and completely redone (why would anyone do this to a guitar?) or it's original.

[ November 09, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: YetAnotherOne ]

Comment

Maybe send a pic and serial number to Fender to see if they did indeed do it. It's possible they have info on it.

Comment

Maybe send a pic and serial number to Fender to see if they did indeed do it. It's possible they have info on it.

Comment

I saw this on E-bay.
                          It is Fender.I dont think it is a custom shop made butthe graphic,it can be a show peice.
                          I wouldsay leave it that way and maybe install better pickups like Duncans or EMGs.
                          [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I saw this on E-bay.
                            It is Fender.I dont think it is a custom shop made butthe graphic,it can be a show peice.
                            I wouldsay leave it that way and maybe install better pickups like Duncans or EMGs.
                            [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I saw the red/black Budweiser with a similar serial on the 'bay but this one came from a guy down the street (if you're reading this Rich, thanks it's a very nice player). The fact that a dead mint example didn't bring 5 bills leads me to believe that while this one might be something a bit unusual, it's probably not particularly valuable.

Comment

Working...
                              X