http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Re: BC Rich help - questions.

The plot thickens. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

Comment

This came about because I was looking to replace the crappy import bridge on my USA gunslinger with an OFR. I contacted this guy and he told me if you have the bridge a gunslinger is supposed to have, the route will not fit an OFR. I told him that the route I had, did in fact fit an OFR. Then he said, "OH, you must have the crappy import bridge" and went on to describe my bridge exactly. It worked out nice for me because I was able to drop an OFR in there with no problem.

Even when they reopened the custom shop in the 90's, you could order a $3000 custom instrument and still end up with a knock off floyd. The order form was pretty deceitful and made you think you were getting an OFR. The knock off floyd they used even went so far as to have Floyd Rose stamped on the bridge, but was in fact a peice of garbage. My chrome bridge turned green within a year from oxidation (which has never happend to any hardware on any of my guitars)

Bilko

Comment

This came about because I was looking to replace the crappy import bridge on my USA gunslinger with an OFR. I contacted this guy and he told me if you have the bridge a gunslinger is supposed to have, the route will not fit an OFR. I told him that the route I had, did in fact fit an OFR. Then he said, "OH, you must have the crappy import bridge" and went on to describe my bridge exactly. It worked out nice for me because I was able to drop an OFR in there with no problem.

Even when they reopened the custom shop in the 90's, you could order a $3000 custom instrument and still end up with a knock off floyd. The order form was pretty deceitful and made you think you were getting an OFR. The knock off floyd they used even went so far as to have Floyd Rose stamped on the bridge, but was in fact a peice of garbage. My chrome bridge turned green within a year from oxidation (which has never happend to any hardware on any of my guitars)

Bilko

Comment

I find that very unusual. Not doubting what you say to be true at all as it could very well be.

I know if the guitar I bought new like a USA Gunslinger was advertised as having grovers, I would expect grovers.

Why would import hardware go on models constructed or put together in the USA? I mean, it may sound obvious, but that hardware is usually manufactured overseas, so it would stay in an overseas plant. Unless, as you guys are saying...it sounds like some USA models were put together overseas as well. It just doesn't seem likely that there would be an abundance of import hardware like tuners going on a USA production model. In small quantities, yes, I would believe it could happen, but not to a great extent. Consistancy in manufacturing sells.

Comment

I find that very unusual. Not doubting what you say to be true at all as it could very well be.

I know if the guitar I bought new like a USA Gunslinger was advertised as having grovers, I would expect grovers.

Why would import hardware go on models constructed or put together in the USA? I mean, it may sound obvious, but that hardware is usually manufactured overseas, so it would stay in an overseas plant. Unless, as you guys are saying...it sounds like some USA models were put together overseas as well. It just doesn't seem likely that there would be an abundance of import hardware like tuners going on a USA production model. In small quantities, yes, I would believe it could happen, but not to a great extent. Consistancy in manufacturing sells.

Comment

I had an 89 gunslinger.The neck plate was black and had L.A.california the ser# was BC/4895.
                B.C.Rich ser#s are very confusing at best and not a good way to determine date of manufacture,you can get close but exact good luck.I have seen imports with chrome neckplates that have L.A.California but have 6&7 digit ser#s.But every USA gunslinger I've owned has had a black neckplate.The ST-IIIs I've had have been the same with black neckplates. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I had an 89 gunslinger.The neck plate was black and had L.A.california the ser# was BC/4895.
                  B.C.Rich ser#s are very confusing at best and not a good way to determine date of manufacture,you can get close but exact good luck.I have seen imports with chrome neckplates that have L.A.California but have 6&7 digit ser#s.But every USA gunslinger I've owned has had a black neckplate.The ST-IIIs I've had have been the same with black neckplates. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

hmmmm....Richard you are correct & from what ive seen your serial# was used after the B#'s. meaning B0001-99999 then BC0001-BC99999. BCRich serial#s are confusing at best because different series during different eras used the same #s. & yes MOST USA boltons use the black LA California neck plates, ive seen 2 very early ones with the serial# stamped into the back of the headstock, using the USA neckthru serial# system & a PLAIN gold back plate.

as far as import hardware on USA yes it did happen. the info from the employee you spoke to i believe to be FALSE. ive only owned early ST-3's. REAL floyd rose bridges fit fine in USA boltons where they use LIC floyds, unless they changed the route when class axe bought them out. ive never owned a CA Rich.

the headstock splice & control route shape are IMPORT. USA BCRich bolton necks are one piece, the control route is almost rectangular. USAs will have Dimarzios, unless ordered with Duncans, EMGs etc. no name pickups & crap pots IMPORT. in the beginning (late 80s-90) imports also had a slightly different headstock shape but they changed that.

Comment

• Re: BC Rich help - questions.

hmmmm....Richard you are correct & from what ive seen your serial# was used after the B#'s. meaning B0001-99999 then BC0001-BC99999. BCRich serial#s are confusing at best because different series during different eras used the same #s. & yes MOST USA boltons use the black LA California neck plates, ive seen 2 very early ones with the serial# stamped into the back of the headstock, using the USA neckthru serial# system & a PLAIN gold back plate.

as far as import hardware on USA yes it did happen. the info from the employee you spoke to i believe to be FALSE. ive only owned early ST-3's. REAL floyd rose bridges fit fine in USA boltons where they use LIC floyds, unless they changed the route when class axe bought them out. ive never owned a CA Rich.

the headstock splice & control route shape are IMPORT. USA BCRich bolton necks are one piece, the control route is almost rectangular. USAs will have Dimarzios, unless ordered with Duncans, EMGs etc. no name pickups & crap pots IMPORT. in the beginning (late 80s-90) imports also had a slightly different headstock shape but they changed that.

Comment

j2379,

You are truly a BC Rich expert! You are correct on all counts. One thing to note.. I recently ordered a Floyd for a 87 USA gunslinger of mine from Lee at GMW and he also told me that some of the gunslinger routes would not fit a floyd. Mine did.

Rich

Comment

j2379,

You are truly a BC Rich expert! You are correct on all counts. One thing to note.. I recently ordered a Floyd for a 87 USA gunslinger of mine from Lee at GMW and he also told me that some of the gunslinger routes would not fit a floyd. Mine did.

Rich

Comment

Rich thanks ive pretty much only bought & played BCRichs for the past 10-15 yrs. & with all the fakes, parts mutts & converted imports i found you have to know what to look for or sometimes you can get burned. im not sure but a few years back the blue books didnt even include alot of bcrichs so you could still find stores selling the old nice ones cheap because they had no clue.

Comment

Rich thanks ive pretty much only bought & played BCRichs for the past 10-15 yrs. & with all the fakes, parts mutts & converted imports i found you have to know what to look for or sometimes you can get burned. im not sure but a few years back the blue books didnt even include alot of bcrichs so you could still find stores selling the old nice ones cheap because they had no clue.

Comment

I've learned more here from you guys than I did from the BC Rich site. I think most of the guys over there are 14 year-olds. (except of course for the JCFers that are over there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
                                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

Comment

Working...
                                X