Variax??? Why so steeply priced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Variax??? Why so steeply priced?

I bought the Variax and a VG88. Returned the Variax and kept the VG88.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How does the vg88 track </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The VG88 tracking is excellent. It is sort of the perfect hybrid electronic synth gizmo for guitar players. It works more like a typical signal processor than say a MIDI converter+synth. You get a lot of synth sounds and a lot of really cool amp/guitar modeling. It uses the hex pickup as separate input signals but does not do much in the way of pitch to voltage conversion like a MIDI converter does. The only time pitch detection even comes into play at all is for changing tunings and/or harmonization.

Personally I like the VG-8EX better than the VG-88. The VG-8EX is better for the synth style tones and over all feel. The VG-88 is better for metal guitar tones. A great way to get into this is to get an original VG-8 off of Ebay for $250-300 and upgrade it to the EX. The EX upgrade is software only. You'll need a GK pickup as well.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How does the vg88 track </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The VG88 tracking is excellent. It is sort of the perfect hybrid electronic synth gizmo for guitar players. It works more like a typical signal processor than say a MIDI converter+synth. You get a lot of synth sounds and a lot of really cool amp/guitar modeling. It uses the hex pickup as separate input signals but does not do much in the way of pitch to voltage conversion like a MIDI converter does. The only time pitch detection even comes into play at all is for changing tunings and/or harmonization.

Personally I like the VG-8EX better than the VG-88. The VG-8EX is better for the synth style tones and over all feel. The VG-88 is better for metal guitar tones. A great way to get into this is to get an original VG-8 off of Ebay for $250-300 and upgrade it to the EX. The EX upgrade is software only. You'll need a GK pickup as well.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww:
            Besides the fact that it says Line6 and they're really proud of their stuff. What makes them so sexpensive?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess I don't think it is too expensive. You are getting models from 28 different guitars in a single very easy to use guitar. It really does sound very good. Sure, you can A/B it with a real vintage Tele or Les Paul or whatever and nitpick. Then again, you can find discrepencies in two real Teles so who cares.

I was actually pretty skeptical at first but finally broke down and got one. The day after I got it I took it to a gig and it worked great. It was great to have a guy with a '62 strat into a blackface deluxe reverb come up to me an compliment me on my tone when I'm playing a Korean made modeling guitar into a little Fender Blues Jr.

The guitar itself was nothing special but it didn't suck. The neck was adequate - not memorable but not bad at all. I played on it for hours without any problems at all.

I sold mine already though because I ordered the new one with the carved top and whammy. I let mine go just before the used prices plunged.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww:
              Besides the fact that it says Line6 and they're really proud of their stuff. What makes them so sexpensive?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess I don't think it is too expensive. You are getting models from 28 different guitars in a single very easy to use guitar. It really does sound very good. Sure, you can A/B it with a real vintage Tele or Les Paul or whatever and nitpick. Then again, you can find discrepencies in two real Teles so who cares.

I was actually pretty skeptical at first but finally broke down and got one. The day after I got it I took it to a gig and it worked great. It was great to have a guy with a '62 strat into a blackface deluxe reverb come up to me an compliment me on my tone when I'm playing a Korean made modeling guitar into a little Fender Blues Jr.

The guitar itself was nothing special but it didn't suck. The neck was adequate - not memorable but not bad at all. I played on it for hours without any problems at all.

I sold mine already though because I ordered the new one with the carved top and whammy. I let mine go just before the used prices plunged.

- Newc

Comment

"Sexecution" would be a great band name...

Comment

Comment

As far as the Variax goes, it would be ok with 24 frets and an ebony board--at that price...

Comment

As far as the Variax goes, it would be ok with 24 frets and an ebony board--at that price...

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Canadian thashers Annihilator have a song by that name....
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Canadian thashers Annihilator have a song by that name....
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Canadian thashers Annihilator have a song by that name.... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn, a day late and a dollar short again! Story of my life. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Canadian thashers Annihilator have a song by that name.... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn, a day late and a dollar short again! Story of my life. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

"What good is all the violence in the world, unless it is tempered with limitless sex!!??"
                                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                                X