Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holy Grail of Flying V\'s....

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
    It's kinda like when Fender used to do the Antigua Burst finish a long time ago. The color was originally made to cover up flaws and blemishes. http://www.pittsburghguitars.com/collantigua.html
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Antigua finishes were used to hide two different things in two different eras. The original Antiguas were used to hide binding flaws on Coronado guitars (this was only in the late 60's). Then Antigua was brought back in 1977 to hide the butcher block bodies Fender was using. Every 70's Antigua I have stripped has had atleast 6-8 pieces of wood making up the body. Some had 12. They are now collectable for some unknown reason. The real rare Antigua is the late 70's "Marlin" finish which is a blue version of the Antigua. I only have seen one in my life and it was to strip the paint for a refin. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I thought there was some kind of other story behind it but I couldn't remember exactly. I actually think the Antigua is kind of a cool finish... in an ugly sort of way. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Never heard of the Marlin, though.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

THATS GREAT, MAN......THATS A REAL RARE GUITAR AND IT DIDNT TURN GREEN LIKE MOST OF THEM DID...NICE SCORE

Comment

THATS GREAT, MAN......THATS A REAL RARE GUITAR AND IT DIDNT TURN GREEN LIKE MOST OF THEM DID...NICE SCORE

Comment

Well, gee, 1980 Silverburst Vs must not be that rare: the one I was referring to is still hanging in the Vintage Room at the GC in Brea!
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, gee, 1980 Silverburst Vs must not be that rare: the one I was referring to is still hanging in the Vintage Room at the GC in Brea!
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              It's kinda like when Fender used to do the Antigua Burst finish a long time ago. The color was originally made to cover up flaws and blemishes. http://www.pittsburghguitars.com/collantigua.html
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Antigua's rule! I love that finish! My very first real electric was an Antigua Tele. I got one of the reissues earlier this year. She's a beauty:
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Antigua's rule! I love that finish! My very first real electric was an Antigua Tele. I got one of the reissues earlier this year. She's a beauty:
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Dang Dana, I want that cab. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nice score on that V btw. You used to be able to buy a Silverburst Les Paul Custom for like 450-550 back in early 80's..no more.

Comment

Dang Dana, I want that cab. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nice score on that V btw. You used to be able to buy a Silverburst Les Paul Custom for like 450-550 back in early 80's..no more.

Comment

thats fucking nice man ! that gibson looks rad ! of course if I had it I would mod it being a Jackson guy lol ! and know you guys would kill me if I did lol //Steve

Comment

thats fucking nice man ! that gibson looks rad ! of course if I had it I would mod it being a Jackson guy lol ! and know you guys would kill me if I did lol //Steve

Comment

Trust me.. I am so Tempted to mod it but won't. RacerX..1980 was the most popular year for the Silverbursts V's. in 1982 they produced 10. There still pretty rare..this is the 5th one I've seen in 2 years.

rich

Comment

Trust me.. I am so Tempted to mod it but won't. RacerX..1980 was the most popular year for the Silverbursts V's. in 1982 they produced 10. There still pretty rare..this is the 5th one I've seen in 2 years.

rich

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, sweet!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think they're pretty cool, too, as well as the silverburst. I just think the silverburst would be much cooler on the Gibson if it was also on the pickguard instead of just being covered up by it.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim:
                                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, sweet!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think they're pretty cool, too, as well as the silverburst. I just think the silverburst would be much cooler on the Gibson if it was also on the pickguard instead of just being covered up by it.

Comment

Working...
                                X