• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holy Grail of Flying V\'s....

i shudder at the look of a fender head [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by deviltronix:
      Today I chanced upon a 1980 Silverburst Flying V at of all places, Guitar Center. I have been looking for one in the right condition and at the right price for a long time. Needless to say, I slapped down the plastic and left estatic to be the proud owner of a considerably rare Gibson.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Rich,
      There is (was?) a 1980 Silverburst V in the Guitar Center in Brea. Yours now?
      [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by deviltronix:
        Today I chanced upon a 1980 Silverburst Flying V at of all places, Guitar Center. I have been looking for one in the right condition and at the right price for a long time. Needless to say, I slapped down the plastic and left estatic to be the proud owner of a considerably rare Gibson.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Rich,
        There is (was?) a 1980 Silverburst V in the Guitar Center in Brea. Yours now?
        [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Man that guitar is cool!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

More pics ? [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Man that guitar is cool!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

More pics ? [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Siverburst rocks.

Nice score...
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Siverburst rocks.

Nice score...
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I always loved silverburst. That V is fuckin sweeeeeet!!!
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I always loved silverburst. That V is fuckin sweeeeeet!!!
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      It's kinda like when Fender used to do the Antigua Burst finish a long time ago. The color was originally made to cover up flaws and blemishes. http://www.pittsburghguitars.com/collantigua.html
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Antigua finishes were used to hide two different things in two different eras. The original Antiguas were used to hide binding flaws on Coronado guitars (this was only in the late 60's). Then Antigua was brought back in 1977 to hide the butcher block bodies Fender was using. Every 70's Antigua I have stripped has had atleast 6-8 pieces of wood making up the body. Some had 12. They are now collectable for some unknown reason. The real rare Antigua is the late 70's "Marlin" finish which is a blue version of the Antigua. I only have seen one in my life and it was to strip the paint for a refin.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                        It's kinda like when Fender used to do the Antigua Burst finish a long time ago. The color was originally made to cover up flaws and blemishes. http://www.pittsburghguitars.com/collantigua.html
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Antigua finishes were used to hide two different things in two different eras. The original Antiguas were used to hide binding flaws on Coronado guitars (this was only in the late 60's). Then Antigua was brought back in 1977 to hide the butcher block bodies Fender was using. Every 70's Antigua I have stripped has had atleast 6-8 pieces of wood making up the body. Some had 12. They are now collectable for some unknown reason. The real rare Antigua is the late 70's "Marlin" finish which is a blue version of the Antigua. I only have seen one in my life and it was to strip the paint for a refin.

Comment

Thanks all for comments! I haven't been this excited buying a guitar in quite awhile.

To answer a few questions..

1979 was the first year of silverburst finishes. They stopped the V silverburst in 1980. (and yes, there is no greening whatsoever..this is why I jumped on it)

I got this in the Guitar Center at Carle Place, L.I.

I will be happy to posts more pics.. give me a few days as I am going away for the holiday.

Finally, Hotrodder is correct about a current trend in silverburst, but that has nothing to do with me buying one. I bought my first silverburst les paul when I was 15 in 1988. I had never even seen one before, but to me it was just like a sunburst except even cooler because it was black and grey. Since then I have been a huge fan. Silverburst was not used to hide the wood, as the grain is still clearly visible.

rich

Comment

Thanks all for comments! I haven't been this excited buying a guitar in quite awhile.

To answer a few questions..

1979 was the first year of silverburst finishes. They stopped the V silverburst in 1980. (and yes, there is no greening whatsoever..this is why I jumped on it)

I got this in the Guitar Center at Carle Place, L.I.

I will be happy to posts more pics.. give me a few days as I am going away for the holiday.

Finally, Hotrodder is correct about a current trend in silverburst, but that has nothing to do with me buying one. I bought my first silverburst les paul when I was 15 in 1988. I had never even seen one before, but to me it was just like a sunburst except even cooler because it was black and grey. Since then I have been a huge fan. Silverburst was not used to hide the wood, as the grain is still clearly visible.

rich

Comment

BTW, I fully agree a silverburst that has greened is pretty damn ugly. But one that remains silver is damn awesome!

This is my les paul (BTW, the finish actually has slighly changed color on this one, but being a newer silverburst it doesn't green like the older ones):

Comment

BTW, I fully agree a silverburst that has greened is pretty damn ugly. But one that remains silver is damn awesome!

This is my les paul (BTW, the finish actually has slighly changed color on this one, but being a newer silverburst it doesn't green like the older ones):

Comment

Working...
                                X