Greg and other Dean experts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg and other Dean experts....

I happened upon a Dean Flying V. I can get it for about $400...maybe less....here is the deal: Block inlays, Rosewood board, Zebra p'ups ( Brand unknown), body and neck binding, Cherry burst finish.
    The problem is....how do I tell if it is USA made.....It has a US flag above the serial #...but, wasn't sure if they were pulling the ole " Fort Worth, Texas trick" .
    The serial # started with Exxxxxxx.
    It feels extremely light for a guitar this size...and has me puzzled. Any tips on its make of origin and going value for one of these?-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Greg and other Dean experts....

I happened upon a Dean Flying V. I can get it for about $400...maybe less....here is the deal: Block inlays, Rosewood board, Zebra p'ups ( Brand unknown), body and neck binding, Cherry burst finish.
    The problem is....how do I tell if it is USA made.....It has a US flag above the serial #...but, wasn't sure if they were pulling the ole " Fort Worth, Texas trick" .
    The serial # started with Exxxxxxx.
    It feels extremely light for a guitar this size...and has me puzzled. Any tips on its make of origin and going value for one of these?-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Re: Greg and other Dean experts....

That's an import, bro'. Any Dean that starts with a serial number that is a letter like that is made in Korea. Not that they are bad guitars. If it has a matching headstock, that is called a "Select" series, and they have been discontinued. A USA will say "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock...stamped into the wood. Under that will be a number, say 81 000XXX, which is the year of manufacture, and the serial number.

USA Deans from the early to mid 90's have the serial number stamped into the last fret. Some of them also have "USA" on the trussrod cover.
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

That's an import, bro'. Any Dean that starts with a serial number that is a letter like that is made in Korea. Not that they are bad guitars. If it has a matching headstock, that is called a "Select" series, and they have been discontinued. A USA will say "Made in USA" on the back of the headstock...stamped into the wood. Under that will be a number, say 81 000XXX, which is the year of manufacture, and the serial number.

USA Deans from the early to mid 90's have the serial number stamped into the last fret. Some of them also have "USA" on the trussrod cover.
        Dana <~~~
        '85 Rhoads Custom
        '86 SD Str*t
        '86 Model 4 (5)
        '87 Model 1
        '87 Model 6
        '88 Model 3DR
        '90 650 XL
        '94 KE-3
        '97 DR Amberburst
        '97 Dinky BOFlames
        '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Here is one of mine from the mid 90's. Notice the "USA" on the trussrod cover.
          Dana <~~~

'85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Here is one of mine from the mid 90's. Notice the "USA" on the trussrod cover.
            Dana <~~~

'85 Rhoads Custom
            '86 SD Str*t
            '86 Model 4 (5)
            '87 Model 1
            '87 Model 6
            '88 Model 3DR
            '90 650 XL
            '94 KE-3
            '97 DR Amberburst
            '97 Dinky BOFlames
            '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

And these are ML Selects. Did the V look like these? These have been discontinued, and are very nice imports.
              Dana <~~~

'85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

And these are ML Selects. Did the V look like these? These have been discontinued, and are very nice imports.
                Dana <~~~

'85 Rhoads Custom
                '86 SD Str*t
                '86 Model 4 (5)
                '87 Model 1
                '87 Model 6
                '88 Model 3DR
                '90 650 XL
                '94 KE-3
                '97 DR Amberburst
                '97 Dinky BOFlames
                '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Its identical to the one on the left....minus the "explorer" style upper and lower horn of course. Was just curious...not going to give 4 bills for a Korean guitar. If it was US....I would own it first thing Friday morning. Thanks alot guitarforce.-Lou

Comment

Its identical to the one on the left....minus the "explorer" style upper and lower horn of course. Was just curious...not going to give 4 bills for a Korean guitar. If it was US....I would own it first thing Friday morning. Thanks alot guitarforce.-Lou

Comment

Yep, right next to the "E" serial number should be a "Made in Korea".

Comment

Yep, right next to the "E" serial number should be a "Made in Korea".

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I like my Korean Dean more than my USA Explorer.

But I've been told I'm nutty. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I like my Korean Dean more than my USA Explorer.

But I've been told I'm nutty. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X