Peavy V-type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peavy V-type

Actually, They turned the "limited edition" into the standard model.

This is the only V-type made by Peavy for now.

They cut out the USA.

This looks like an attempt to bring back the older Vandenburg at a lower pricepoint.

This has a neck profile closer to the originals than the earlier bolt-ons.

I spoke to them on the phone this morning, this is brand new, introduced this summer.

It seems to have better wood specs than your typical Korean axe.

Maple Neck-through with alder wings.

The tech guy I spoke to was a big fan of the USA series and is a little sad they are discontinued.

He did however, swear up and down that this latest incarnation is the "best import guitar they've ever made." His words, not mine.

A nice guy. We spoke about guitars, I told him I was a fan of Jacksons, he thought I would find the quality at least as good as whats comming out of Japan.

As far as the Brian Moore guitar, not quite my thing. I'm a Super-strat pointy head guy, it's my favorite style.

Comment

Oh that guitar's pretty! anyone know how well they play (and when I say that I mean how does it compare to a soloist).
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Oh that guitar's pretty! anyone know how well they play (and when I say that I mean how does it compare to a soloist).
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I have the purple/floyd one. Having two bolt-on Vandy's already and seeing the purple and the neck thru and the abalone binding, I had to be first-on-the-block to have this. The construction quality is 1st rate. The purple see-thru and abalone is unbelievable. Set-up, intonation, action perfect from factory. The floyd is heavy and beefy. The major departure from the early Vandy is they have 15" neck radius, the LTD's have 12". The 15" neck is more what I'm used to and closer to Jackson/Charvel territory, but when playing the new LTD, I haven't really noticed the radius difference. (12" is pretty popular, see PRS and Ibanez JS Series). I only have one complaint...I don't like the bridge pickup...Pickup sound is very subjective (just see all the different answers to the Tech questions "what's the best sounding pickup?"), but it's an easy swap to your favorite pickup.

The dealer was blown away when he received this when I ordered from him (he hadn't seen it at Jan NAMM). With the abalone and such its a very striking guitar. This one gets more comments than any of my many other guitars from audiences at my cover-band gigs.

I have several neck-thru Jacksons/Charvels, including a couple late 80's Soloists (one a 2-hum w/reverse headstock..yeah!) and a Model 5A. I would rate the Vandy LTD up there close in feel and playability and quality. It is made in Korea as was mentioned, but feels more like a Japan made C/J model series.

Comment

I have the purple/floyd one. Having two bolt-on Vandy's already and seeing the purple and the neck thru and the abalone binding, I had to be first-on-the-block to have this. The construction quality is 1st rate. The purple see-thru and abalone is unbelievable. Set-up, intonation, action perfect from factory. The floyd is heavy and beefy. The major departure from the early Vandy is they have 15" neck radius, the LTD's have 12". The 15" neck is more what I'm used to and closer to Jackson/Charvel territory, but when playing the new LTD, I haven't really noticed the radius difference. (12" is pretty popular, see PRS and Ibanez JS Series). I only have one complaint...I don't like the bridge pickup...Pickup sound is very subjective (just see all the different answers to the Tech questions "what's the best sounding pickup?"), but it's an easy swap to your favorite pickup.

The dealer was blown away when he received this when I ordered from him (he hadn't seen it at Jan NAMM). With the abalone and such its a very striking guitar. This one gets more comments than any of my many other guitars from audiences at my cover-band gigs.

I have several neck-thru Jacksons/Charvels, including a couple late 80's Soloists (one a 2-hum w/reverse headstock..yeah!) and a Model 5A. I would rate the Vandy LTD up there close in feel and playability and quality. It is made in Korea as was mentioned, but feels more like a Japan made C/J model series.

Comment

Thanks for that info Mountaindog.

Can you tell me what the neck/body joint is like?

Close to a Model 6 or 5?

Also, is the Floyd similar in style to the Schaller? It looks that way from the pics.

I'm gonna put an order in, I gotta have this beast.

Comment

Thanks for that info Mountaindog.

Can you tell me what the neck/body joint is like?

Close to a Model 6 or 5?

Also, is the Floyd similar in style to the Schaller? It looks that way from the pics.

I'm gonna put an order in, I gotta have this beast.

Comment

I played some V Types at NAMM last January and was impressed with them. They felt great.

Comment

I played some V Types at NAMM last January and was impressed with them. They felt great.

Comment

I saw one of these at a store in Baltimore, recently. Didn't try it out, but it looked pretty nice. A little too pimped-out for my tastes, with all that abalone binding and such. Les Paul Customs are about as fancy as I like to go that way.

This was a logical move for Peavey, considering that the original Vandys are the only really collector's item the company has put out...well maybe other than the Wolfgangs, but there seem to be lots of those around.

By the way, does this new EXP version have an ebony or rosewood board? I can't remember about the one I saw, and the picture here is too darkly lit to show it clearly.

Comment

I saw one of these at a store in Baltimore, recently. Didn't try it out, but it looked pretty nice. A little too pimped-out for my tastes, with all that abalone binding and such. Les Paul Customs are about as fancy as I like to go that way.

This was a logical move for Peavey, considering that the original Vandys are the only really collector's item the company has put out...well maybe other than the Wolfgangs, but there seem to be lots of those around.

By the way, does this new EXP version have an ebony or rosewood board? I can't remember about the one I saw, and the picture here is too darkly lit to show it clearly.

Comment

2Loud2Old, just saw your questions, I'll take some pics tonight (I'm at work now) and post. From what I remember, neck/body joint like Model 5/6/Soloist, and the floyd looks like the beefy/blocky Schaller type.

By the way, what price are you getting on this? My local dealer undercut Samash, giving me guitar (no case) for $595 plus tax. Also, the pic of the white one you posted shows normal tuners. Mine has the 'hollow' tuners like the web pic (very cool by the way).
                          http://www.peaveymag.net/11105/prod-...sp?prodid=4246

By the way, I got it without case due to the price for the V-type case!!! Discounted to $140..ouch!!!
                          http://www.peaveymag.net/11105/prod-...sp?prodid=3301

Pro-fusion, fingerboard is rosewood, but fairly dark on mine. It is a tighter grain of rosewood. (I wish it was ebony, but oh-well!).

Comment

2Loud2Old, just saw your questions, I'll take some pics tonight (I'm at work now) and post. From what I remember, neck/body joint like Model 5/6/Soloist, and the floyd looks like the beefy/blocky Schaller type.

By the way, what price are you getting on this? My local dealer undercut Samash, giving me guitar (no case) for $595 plus tax. Also, the pic of the white one you posted shows normal tuners. Mine has the 'hollow' tuners like the web pic (very cool by the way).
                            http://www.peaveymag.net/11105/prod-...sp?prodid=4246

By the way, I got it without case due to the price for the V-type case!!! Discounted to $140..ouch!!!
                            http://www.peaveymag.net/11105/prod-...sp?prodid=3301

Pro-fusion, fingerboard is rosewood, but fairly dark on mine. It is a tighter grain of rosewood. (I wish it was ebony, but oh-well!).

Comment

Thanks for that MountainDog.

I'm ordering the white one from a local dealer. for about the regular price (I'm in Canada)Peavy V-types are a little hard to come by around here so I don't have a lot of choice.

I didn't realize the tuners where "open" cool!

I noticed the white one has gold hardware on the Peavy site, but the NAMM pic has black, I'd like the gold hardware but not quite sure which one is correct, black is cool too so it's okay. (My Dealer has no clue, he never stocks the stuff)

I was gonna get the case but, yikes! It's a lotta $$$ for a molded case, my Dean case was half that and it's a wood/plush deluxe job.

I'll skip it.

In any case, I'm excited and can't wait 'till I get mine.

Comment

Thanks for that MountainDog.

I'm ordering the white one from a local dealer. for about the regular price (I'm in Canada)Peavy V-types are a little hard to come by around here so I don't have a lot of choice.

I didn't realize the tuners where "open" cool!

I noticed the white one has gold hardware on the Peavy site, but the NAMM pic has black, I'd like the gold hardware but not quite sure which one is correct, black is cool too so it's okay. (My Dealer has no clue, he never stocks the stuff)

I was gonna get the case but, yikes! It's a lotta $$$ for a molded case, my Dean case was half that and it's a wood/plush deluxe job.

I'll skip it.

In any case, I'm excited and can't wait 'till I get mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X