Les Pauls with maple necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Les Pauls with maple necks?

I actually just checked out the Epiphone site, and it seems the John Connolly model does have a mahogany neck/maple board. The Zakk model does have a maple neck, though, with a rosewood board.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, that is part of the Norlin era. I have had a few of them from this era, and while they are good players, I never owned or played a truely great one. They also look ugly to me having so many pieces of low quality wood. I remember this one '78ish tobacco burst Standard I had a horribly matched 3 piece top with a knot almost hidden by the burst band.

Comment

Yes, that is part of the Norlin era. I have had a few of them from this era, and while they are good players, I never owned or played a truely great one. They also look ugly to me having so many pieces of low quality wood. I remember this one '78ish tobacco burst Standard I had a horribly matched 3 piece top with a knot almost hidden by the burst band.

Comment

Ah yes. That brings back memories. I had a '78 Standard with the 3 piece top in cherry sunburst. The top piece ( under the arm) was a beautiful flame and the other two pieces were totally plain.

Comment

Ah yes. That brings back memories. I had a '78 Standard with the 3 piece top in cherry sunburst. The top piece ( under the arm) was a beautiful flame and the other two pieces were totally plain.

Comment

I remember looking at a '77ish cherry burst that had fire damage to the finish. I just stripped it down to bare wood. It had:
              3 piece maple neck
              1 piece rosewood fretboard
              the body had
              4 pieces of Mahogany
              seperated by
              2 sheets of walnut veneer topped with
              3 piece maple top. This USA quality Les Paul Standard guitar was comprised of 13 pieces of wood! An original run LP would have been made of no more than 7 including the old school Holly headstock overlay.

Comment

I remember looking at a '77ish cherry burst that had fire damage to the finish. I just stripped it down to bare wood. It had:
                3 piece maple neck
                1 piece rosewood fretboard
                the body had
                4 pieces of Mahogany
                seperated by
                2 sheets of walnut veneer topped with
                3 piece maple top. This USA quality Les Paul Standard guitar was comprised of 13 pieces of wood! An original run LP would have been made of no more than 7 including the old school Holly headstock overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                  I actually just checked out the Epiphone site, and it seems the John Connolly model does have a mahogany neck/maple board. The Zakk model does have a maple neck, though, with a rosewood board.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My mistake man, sorry about that.
                  I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My mistake man, sorry about that.
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Whatever they're made of, I *love* those late '70s-early '80s Les Pauls! They were more playable back then and I think the maple necks added some bite to the sound that the mahogany necks don't. Mahogany necks might be better for blues or roots rock, but for metal, I prefer a little bit brighter sound from the guitar. The combination of a maple neck and body cap with all that mahogany in the body creates a truly humongous and snarling sound.

And those late '70s low-but-very-wide Gibson frets??? [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Whatever they're made of, I *love* those late '70s-early '80s Les Pauls! They were more playable back then and I think the maple necks added some bite to the sound that the mahogany necks don't. Mahogany necks might be better for blues or roots rock, but for metal, I prefer a little bit brighter sound from the guitar. The combination of a maple neck and body cap with all that mahogany in the body creates a truly humongous and snarling sound.

And those late '70s low-but-very-wide Gibson frets??? [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My mistake man, sorry about that. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No big deal. It still seems like a pretty cool guitar. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My mistake man, sorry about that. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No big deal. It still seems like a pretty cool guitar. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

*love* those late '70s-early '80s Les Pauls! They were more playable back then and I think the maple necks added some bite to the sound that the mahogany necks don't.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Ebony fingerboard on the Customs add a LOT of this characteristic too! I hate 70's Standards with Indian Rosewood fingerboards. (Well, every now and then a GOOD one surfaces....)

The 70's Customs with the maple neck AND fingerboard are probably the best "sleeper" LP deals going right now. Awesome guitars....for the 70's, anyway. (Good luck finding a reasonably LIGHT one. Heheheh.)

Hi Jim [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-eric

Comment

*love* those late '70s-early '80s Les Pauls! They were more playable back then and I think the maple necks added some bite to the sound that the mahogany necks don't.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Ebony fingerboard on the Customs add a LOT of this characteristic too! I hate 70's Standards with Indian Rosewood fingerboards. (Well, every now and then a GOOD one surfaces....)

The 70's Customs with the maple neck AND fingerboard are probably the best "sleeper" LP deals going right now. Awesome guitars....for the 70's, anyway. (Good luck finding a reasonably LIGHT one. Heheheh.)

Hi Jim [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-eric

Comment

Working...
                                X