Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have opinions on the Epiphone Les Pauls??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody have opinions on the Epiphone Les Pauls??

Stupid double posts.

Comment

at $600, i would get a brian moore i2.
      comes with better pickups, better hardware, and coil taps. the quality control is pretty consistant. i've had 2 brian moores and played a bunch more, and they were all pretty good.

epi's however are hit or miss. some are horrible while a few are really awesome. i had an epi sparkle top les paul that sounded as good as any gibson les paul that i've played.

Comment

at $600, i would get a brian moore i2.
        comes with better pickups, better hardware, and coil taps. the quality control is pretty consistant. i've had 2 brian moores and played a bunch more, and they were all pretty good.

epi's however are hit or miss. some are horrible while a few are really awesome. i had an epi sparkle top les paul that sounded as good as any gibson les paul that i've played.

Comment

I had one come into my shop for a pickup and tuner upgrade. I thought the stock pickups sounded great too. Especially after I potted them. I had to drill the headstock for the new locking Sperzels but I agree with you that it was a very nice guitar. The finish, playability and tone were just as good as many of the super expensive Gibsons I have played. I was actually sad to see it go. It is a pretty limited production model too according to the owner.

Comment

I had one come into my shop for a pickup and tuner upgrade. I thought the stock pickups sounded great too. Especially after I potted them. I had to drill the headstock for the new locking Sperzels but I agree with you that it was a very nice guitar. The finish, playability and tone were just as good as many of the super expensive Gibsons I have played. I was actually sad to see it go. It is a pretty limited production model too according to the owner.

Comment

Dana, I had 2 Epi Pauls..a custom and a standard. I got rid of them after I got my Gibson LP Custom. They were great guitars for the money. The only real fault were the original machine heads. Grovers solved that. I also replaced the bridge pickups on each of them. When I was looking for a beater LP I found an old Samick on ebay for $225. Must be old because it looks different then the new Samicks. Has the Gibson style headstock. I put new hardware and pickups in it and It serves me well.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Dana, I had 2 Epi Pauls..a custom and a standard. I got rid of them after I got my Gibson LP Custom. They were great guitars for the money. The only real fault were the original machine heads. Grovers solved that. I also replaced the bridge pickups on each of them. When I was looking for a beater LP I found an old Samick on ebay for $225. Must be old because it looks different then the new Samicks. Has the Gibson style headstock. I put new hardware and pickups in it and It serves me well.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the info, guys. Guess I'm not the only one who has had some good experiences with them. I did fail to mention that, yeah, the tuners are those cheesy Kluson knock-offs, BUT, the darn things stay in tune great, believe it or not. Normally I'd replace them, but I guess I'll leave these on there.

Crankdaddy/Tom, yep, I traded somebody on the Dean forum for this guitar. And, it's good to be posting here again. I kinda miss this place sometimes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Haven't seen you on the Dean Forum in awhile...then again, the Dean Forum is kinda fried right now. I think it was crashed by a hacker, from all appearences. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
                  Dana <~~~
                  '85 Rhoads Custom
                  '86 SD Str*t
                  '86 Model 4 (5)
                  '87 Model 1
                  '87 Model 6
                  '88 Model 3DR
                  '90 650 XL
                  '94 KE-3
                  '97 DR Amberburst
                  '97 Dinky BOFlames
                  '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Hey, thanks for the info, guys. Guess I'm not the only one who has had some good experiences with them. I did fail to mention that, yeah, the tuners are those cheesy Kluson knock-offs, BUT, the darn things stay in tune great, believe it or not. Normally I'd replace them, but I guess I'll leave these on there.

Crankdaddy/Tom, yep, I traded somebody on the Dean forum for this guitar. And, it's good to be posting here again. I kinda miss this place sometimes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Haven't seen you on the Dean Forum in awhile...then again, the Dean Forum is kinda fried right now. I think it was crashed by a hacker, from all appearences. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
                    Dana <~~~
                    '85 Rhoads Custom
                    '86 SD Str*t
                    '86 Model 4 (5)
                    '87 Model 1
                    '87 Model 6
                    '88 Model 3DR
                    '90 650 XL
                    '94 KE-3
                    '97 DR Amberburst
                    '97 Dinky BOFlames
                    '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

NotP: The body isn't that big, but it's really thick. Gibson LP's also have really good wood and good mahogany is dense and dense mahogany is heavy as fuck. The Epi's are either cheaper mahogany or alder so the weight is considerably less.

Comment

NotP: The body isn't that big, but it's really thick. Gibson LP's also have really good wood and good mahogany is dense and dense mahogany is heavy as fuck. The Epi's are either cheaper mahogany or alder so the weight is considerably less.

Comment

I have not had much experience with the Epi Les Pauls but I have played the Explorers and Flying Vs at length and I liked them. Only thing I would do is upgrade the hardware a bit.
                          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I have not had much experience with the Epi Les Pauls but I have played the Explorers and Flying Vs at length and I liked them. Only thing I would do is upgrade the hardware a bit.
                            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

i`ve owned a couple of the higher end ones and my opinion is as follows [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] use it for firewood and put $600 into a used Jackson USA or Hamer USA, i wouldn`t pay $300 for an EPI anything and the Gibsons ain`t much better just priced much higher, their quality control and components suck [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Carvin-Jackson-Hamer, money well spent [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

i`ve owned a couple of the higher end ones and my opinion is as follows [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] use it for firewood and put $600 into a used Jackson USA or Hamer USA, i wouldn`t pay $300 for an EPI anything and the Gibsons ain`t much better just priced much higher, their quality control and components suck [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Carvin-Jackson-Hamer, money well spent [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                                X