Is swamp ash a reason to worry ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is swamp ash a reason to worry ?

Im eyeing a Gibson Voodoo V on ebay because im having second thoughts about dropping the big cash on a Les Paul Custom. Anyways, Im worried that the swamp ash body will cause a dramatic change in the guitar's tone. It doesn't have to sound like a les paul, but will the swamp ash cause a weak / thin sound when distorted ?

thats my primary concern. I would most definatly put an EMG 81 in there, but im still worried about the guitar sounding thin.

Re: Is swamp ash a reason to worry ?

It's not really a reason to worry. Swamp ash is an outstanding tone wood; it's got a little spank and brightness to it. If you're looking for the normal Les Paul tone, you're not going to get it without mahogany. Though, the Voodoo series may have mahogany necks, so that should help a little (I can't remember offhand). If you're gonna put EMGs in it, I'd go with an 85 in the bridge to beef it up a little. My Carvin SC90 is swamp ash with a maple neck-thru, and it sounds great. The standard C22 pups are a little bright and more on the classic/vintage side and sometimes I think could use a little more gain and maybe a tiny bit of low end, but they do sound really nice.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, thats good to hear. The les paul tone isnt a neccessity (Though its nice), but I just dont want it to sound weak. As this would be the guitar I do rhythm work on, using my jackson for leads.

Comment

Jesper from In Flames plays a stock Voodoo V...So I'm guessing it doesn't sound "weak" in the slightest. Especially since Bjorn plays a Les Paul Custom, I'd imagine the dropoff couldn't be too bad.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I have two custom shop J/Cs with swamp ash bodies, and it is BY FAR my favorite tone wood. It's awesome both clean and distorted. Not going to sound like a LP, though.

Comment

i've played some PRS swamp ash specials and they are awesome sounding guitars!!!

Comment

I had my guitartech (who is a good friend and seasoned luthier) build me a swamp-ash strat a couple of years ago...it didn´t sound weak at all, I can tell you that much. I´m actually a little sad that I parted with it.

Comment

Thanks all, im still debating which route to go.

Comment

I LOVE swamp ash! I have had Strats, Teles and still even own a Jazzmaster in swamp ash. It has a little more high end, but they also tend to be acoustically louder than alder or Mahogany!

Comment

I played a Gibson Voodoo Les Paul and it was a great deal. Swamp ash is my favorite tone wood and it is very light.

Comment

I have heard from like five different people that the Gubson Voodoo series and faded series has finish problems. For some reason the finish comes off the back of the neck onto your hands especially if you sweat alot and play live under hot lights. By the way Paddok I take it you decided not to buy an ESP explorer. You really should they are great guitars and will beat most Gibsons any day. That is the setneck explorers I dont care for the bolt on ESP explorers.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47:
                        I have heard from like five different people that the Gubson Voodoo series and faded series has finish problems. For some reason the finish comes off the back of the neck onto your hands especially if you sweat alot and play live under hot lights. By the way Paddok I take it you decided not to buy an ESP explorer. You really should they are great guitars and will beat most Gibsons any day. That is the setneck explorers I dont care for the bolt on ESP explorers.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was really into the explorer but I just couldn't find the right one for me. I didn't care if it was a setneck or a bolton, but I wanted it to have an ebony fretboard. After a month or so of looking all over, I've given up.

Comment

Swamp Ash is a great tone wood.I agree it tends to be bright but the acoustic quality is so outstanding.I fefined a charvel star body (swamp ash) 1 hum, and used a dimarzio steves special and the tone is very airy( for use of a better term)and acoustic.But when overdriven this guitar gets very articulate you can hear each string.The steves special is a very hot pickup maybe not the greatest choice in this case but this guitars has BALLS not thin at all.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X