No announcement yet.

Yet another abomination: My Flying V!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yet another abomination: My Flying V!

I wonder if it's not a Cort. It kinda reminds me of the Gibson Firebrand look in the late 70's early 80's. I am with the majority tho.. I think it looks [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] as is...leave it.

Comment

Maybe its a Carlo Robelli. Anyway, I would leave it alone. It looks cool.

Comment

WTF?? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Not paint it? That was definately not the reaction I expected. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Haha, okay I'll have to reconsider then. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The guitar does have mojo in heaps, but I'd like to get the lame marker scribblings off of it - and I'm willing to bet the marker has sunk into the mahogany.

The neck is not as thick as a Gibson LP Std, but somewhere around Gibson thickness. It was hella long since I played an actual Gibson V, so now I'm not sure how it compares.

But yeah, this has been played with reckless abandon from day one of my ownership. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I learnt all the songs off "Justice" on this guitar. Ah, the memories...

Thanks for the feedback ppl! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

It does look cool, but in the end I think it may benefit from a good refinish and setup. I'd personally get it a black finish, because I like black. My fear is that without a finish the wood could go bad. I don't really know much of anything about wood though.

If you want to route it out for a floyd, go for it. I don't think it'll kill the guitar. You may like it even more after the operation.

Comment

I think the Sharpie marker scribbles are just as much part of the character. Art is defined in many ways.. I'd view this as a constant work in progress.

Comment

Maybe just put on some tung oil to condition the wood a little. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If Mad Max had had a guitar in The Road Warrior, tha's what it would've looked like! Keep it that way, it's your baby!

You know, if you want a locking trem, Rockinger made one that directly retrofitted a Strat 6-hole trem. I have one on my Westone and it's been going strong since 1985! You might find one more easily in Europe, because mine is the only one I've seen in the US, and I lived in Los Angeles for 19 years, scouring the Recycler used goods paper
                all that time. ClevelandMetal has one, but I think his is a different model than mine. If course you can't pull it up, but it dives and stays in great tune, and
                the guitar could stay untouched except drilling 4 small holes to mount the lock
                clamp at the headstock. Just a thought.
                EVH just lubricated the nut grooves in his guitar before Floyd Rose invented the
                locking trem, so you may want to do that.
                You can get tubes of powdered graphite at
                the auto parts store. Or a graphite nut.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

why not stew mac locking saddles, and a little of matt clear coat can´t be wrong

Comment

dude KILLER guitar... i'd pay $80 if you sold it, HAHA... but seriously don't paint it!!! that thing is bad to the bo--... beat up wood? well, it's kick ass, and must be a fun rocker

Comment

I actually never use the trem (bad experiences from non-locking ones, plus I don't have the bar). I will not bother to oil the nut and all that, but rather use it as a fixed bridge. I use all 5 trem springs in it and the claw is tightened down well - so it pretty much plays like a hardtail.

I've grown to love this guitar, even though I like the thin/wide Jackson necks better - and that's the only reason I'm thinking twice about the Floyd. It plays great "as is", but after a Floyd transplant it wouldn't be quite the same, even if I blocked it. It would be great for tuning stability though.

It's cool you all like the look of it, but for me the jury's still out on the "finish". I really want to hide the marker scribbles, and that calls for a solid/graphic finish. I was thinking of a camo finish with skulls... =P

Anyway, happy new year y'all! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'bane - drunk on scotch

Comment

Ack - do NOT refin that!!

That axe has character you can smell!
                        [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I agree, dont refinish. You have a nice worn in guitar..refinish is you have a gibson copy like everyone else.

Ox

Comment

Oh yeah, Whats written all over it in marker?

Ox

Comment

you can get spray laquer from stewmac.com

It works very well but you have to put about 4 cans of it on total, as spray cans put out about less that half of what a gun can do. do several coats with time in between, get some 600, 1k, 2k wet sand paper, and do it in stages, get all the orange peel off, then buff it out with rubbing compound, then polish with wax. Or you can call around and have a local luthier that has a buffing wheel rub it out for you.

or not [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] it does have character.. and you might not like it as well refinished.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
                                I really want to hide the marker scribbles, and that calls for a solid/graphic finish.
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You need some stickers....
                                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
                                X