Single pickup guitars????? any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single pickup guitars????? any good?

Ive seen a mocking bird with a single EMG 60 with coil tap.... neck thru and string thru body.. my guess it would sound awesome rhythm wise.. but single pickup be any good for solos\shredding?

i know Alexi laiho uses single EMG'd guitars, as does Roope Latvalo (not to mention george lynch)... and those older Kramers only had 1 p/u etc.. but that doesnt mean its going to be for everyone!

Any advice on this? I mean i only use my bridge pickup on my current guitars, but then i cant shred (am learning!)... would i need a neck p/up for just balls out metal and (eventually) shred?

Or would a good amp setup be enough to keep the sound good for soloing?

Re: Single pickup guitars????? any good?

I have several guitars with multiple pickups but find that I only use the bridge pickup for hard rock/metal style music, both for rhythm and leads. You can do fine with just a bridge pickup.

Comment

One pickup is all I need to get by..If you have a tone knob, you can always adjust volume and tone if you need a different rythm sound.

check out my site.. you'll see the majority of my guitars are one pickup machines.

http://www.richackermann.com/site/guitars/

Rich

Comment

I used to use only the bridge humbucker, but recently I've learned to like a neck humbucker for my fast solos...you can get a better legato sound from it, plus it hides more of my mistakes [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

I usually only use the bridge pup, but a neck pup is cool for a darker sound once in awhile. I've got two guitars with the one pup/one volume... a Charvel Model 5A (push/pull pot added for single coil operation), and a Jackson JJP (Dinky Les Paul Jr./Special) that's pretty kick ass!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

.... how can you coiltap an EMG? if im right, theres only 2 wires from an EMG, not 4.

~eric

Comment

Originally posted by illumina:
              .... how can you coiltap an EMG? if im right, theres only 2 wires from an EMG, not 4.

~eric
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only EMG that has that capability is the 89. It's basically an 85 and SA combined in one pup that's split by either using a push/pull pot or mini toggle switch.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use the bridge pickup for the majority of both rhythm and lead, but I do like the neck humbucker for leads as well.
                As for single-pickup guitars - they're really just one-trick ponies IMO. Yeah you get that vintage 80's vibe and all that, but they're truly impractical in the long run.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i wondered about the coil tap feature on an emg 60.. thought only the 89 had that... just going on the spec listed for the guitar!

Im not a one trick pony myself...its either heavy metal or not so heavy metal [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the input !

Comment

one-pickup-guitars work for just about anything as long as you have the right pickup in it.
                    I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

I don`t own any 1 pickup guitars, but I never use anything but the Humbucker in the bridge, the other pickups are just taking up space. Any New guitar I would Custom order would only have 1 Humbucker in the bridge and it will be a Carvin or a Jackson. Jack.

Comment

You can't have coil tap on EMG 60, that's for sure. It's either EMG 89 or .... I don't know. Definetly not a 60. I never tried EMG 60 in bridge, but it is definetly nicer sounding for clean sounds than 81, my opinion though. Anyway, you can always change the pickup, but I think it's a bit limiting to have just one pickup. If you don't use neck pickups, maybe put a sustainer in there, it can spice up your soup.

Comment

my Carvin's got one hum in the bridge, and I don't need anything else. It rocks \m/
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

All of my 1 hum guitars clean up fine just back off the vol a little on the dirty channel.I love my 2 hum guitars as well when I feel the need to go to the "dark side". [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

"As for single-pickup guitars - they're really just one-trick ponies IMO. Yeah you get that vintage 80's vibe and all that, but they're truly impractical in the long run."

Why do you feel this way? I have never found a use for the neck pickup in any of my guitars. I've tried, but it always sounds dull, bassy and weak to me in comparison to the bridge pickup. If I want less treble or more bass, I adjust my amp's EQ, and if I want less gain, I turn down the guitar's volume or the amp's gain.

What advantages does a neck pickup offer?

Comment

Working...
                              X