Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So did anyone score at Guitar Center's blowout the other day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So did anyone score at Guitar Center's blowout the other day?

I did. 60's Closet Classic Custom Shop Strat for a screamin' deal. They had three CS Strats at a very, very low price. One guy walked up and grabbed the two Relics and I happily grabbed the Closet Classic.

I was impressed. There were many other very good deals to be had. Brand new Squiers for 50 bucks - if they would have had a lefty I would have picked one up for my son. Many other things at 70-80% off of retail - not just the cheap stuff either.

Anyone else?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: So did anyone score at Guitar Center\'s blowout the other day?

I sometimes stop by when they're having their weekly "SUPER MEGA BLOWOUT GRAND OPENING GOING OUT OF BISUNESS NEW YEARS DAY HALLOWEEN SALE!", but I never, ever see anything marked down. My local GC's love to pull the "30% off from MSRP" 'sale' trick.

I don't think I'd be into giving them my money anyway.

Thats some pretty sweet scores though, man. And they weren't all trashed from rich kids and dumb people wanking on them? Wow.

Congrats!

Comment

I made another post about this, but I did score a killer Spector bass a couple of weeks ago for $318. They had been selling them for $700 plus, but were closing them out.
      Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Most the Ernie Ball Stuff at the local GC was 699 which seemed pretty good for a quit top axis. the JP's were full price though
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I missed this sale--but I'm sure there'll be another one very soon... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Usually, the first place I visit at the local GC is the table where they have all of the really marked-down effects and the like. Haven't seen too many good deals lately, though. A few weeks back they had new DKMGs for just slightly over $300. That was a good deal, but I'm not in the market for a new guitar, unless it's a really high-end guitar at a ridiculously low price, or something. (you know, USA Soloist for $499, or something like that)

Comment

I've been checking out my local guitar center.
            [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
            They recently changed managers and the staff are all a bunch of dicks.

I go in alot and if i see a piece that i like, i usually ask the sales person if they can do better.
            The old manager would try and do a little better on the price, but these new guys won't move on the price, and one sales guy told me that i'm the type to talk them down to no commission.

For example $1300 on a used beat up PRS ce 22 with no case is a bit ridiculous.
            How about $600 on a used spider 1 2x12 amp when a new flextone 3 2x12 costs $699
            [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Maybe I just have bad luck with them...

Comment

Man, sounds like your GC has some hard-asses. The guys at mine are really cool. My wife bought me a Digitech RP100 for Christmas, but it was damaged. When I took it back, there were no more RP100's with which I could exchange it. So he gave me an RP200 for $6.00 over their cost...we only paid like $30.00 more than the RP100 cost. There is normally like a $70-$80 difference in price between those two pedals. I was very happy with it, and I love the pedal!
              Dana <~~~
              '85 Rhoads Custom
              '86 SD Str*t
              '86 Model 4 (5)
              '87 Model 1
              '87 Model 6
              '88 Model 3DR
              '90 650 XL
              '94 KE-3
              '97 DR Amberburst
              '97 Dinky BOFlames
              '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

more [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] sorry...

so i couldn't resist and went back to guitar center after work today.

i see a nice used gibson dc classic goldtop for $999, no case. the guitar is in ok condition, top looks good, alot of buckle rash on the back.

i ask the sales guy to try it out and i try to negotiate price.

i said what's the best you can do on this?

he says to me $999 for the guitar, case extra...its the guarenteed best price.

i look at him and started laughing...

i said alright, i'm sure thats "guarenteed best price"

anyone know of any better guitar places in northern nj?

Comment

The GC in Phoenix has some pretty good deals, 2 MM Axis for $599 each, an EB Petrucci for $499, Gibson SG Supremes for $999, and a sweet PRS 10 Top Singlecut w/ Birds for $1,600. The Petrucci has a crack in the body, and the Axis have a ding or two, but nothing that affects playability at all.

Comment

Originally posted by data187:
                    more [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] sorry...

so i couldn't resist and went back to guitar center after work today.

i see a nice used gibson dc classic goldtop for $999, no case. the guitar is in ok condition, top looks good, alot of buckle rash on the back.

i ask the sales guy to try it out and i try to negotiate price.

i said what's the best you can do on this?

he says to me $999 for the guitar, case extra...its the guarenteed best price.

i look at him and started laughing...

i said alright, i'm sure thats "guarenteed best price"

anyone know of any better guitar places in northern nj?
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Data, I am in Northern NJ and probably shop in the same stores as you. I NEVER ask if they can do better. I TELL THEM what I will pay and the ball is then in their court. They usually go away to their computer and check their bottom line and return with a yes or no. I have gotten some great deals that way, and also passed on a couple I liked, but I have NEVER paid their asking price EVER.

[EDIT] My latest was the Fender USA Strat w/ case and Roland GK-2 pickup. $450 out the door.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Scott,

Thanks for the tip man....
                      I'll have to be more assertive next time i go there.

I went there recently looking for this seiko tuner:
                      http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/211065/

which is a $70 on sale for $20. The guy at accessories basically told me that they are sold out, that he couldn't order any and showed me a regularly priced $20 tuner which is crappy compared to this one.

I finally had enough and emailed the GC corporate headquarters. Suprisingly enough, i got a call from the store manager within 24 hrs apollogizing for his employees.

Anyway, it was nice of him to call, and I'm going to take your tip and be mor assertive when bargaining with these GC clowns.

Comment

Yeah, try it. Don't be a dick, but be firm and ready to walk if they won't be reasonable. Let's say you were willing to pay $900 for the DC and case, he may tell you the best they could do is $950. At that point you have to make up your mind. A few minutes ago it was $999, no case. My next offer would be $950 w/ case out the door. So on and so on...until you are both satisfied. Don't be afraid to speak up. For every guy that speaks up and gets a decent deal there are countless victims paying asking price for everything.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I bought a lot of gear at my local GC a couple years back. The staff is pretty cool, and willing to deal. They are a little "too cool" at times. I have seen young guys in there that obviously dont have any money to spend just hacking on $3500 gibsons, and nobody seems to care. The biggest problem is 20% of the Jacksons hanging on the wall are unplayable. I picked one up last week that felt like it had dried pepsi on the back of the neck. Others were missing strings, or the floyds were way out. The mega-sales are great. But when it comes to buying a new USA, I call Scott @ Vwall Guitars.
                          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
                            Most the Ernie Ball Stuff at the local GC was 699 which seemed pretty good for a quit top axis. the JP's were full price though
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just got back from the Seven Corners GC in VA and they had some GREAT GUITARS. I walked in with the intention of replacing my Model 7 with a EBMM Axis or Wolfie. What did I see when I walked in?....3 GMPs! All used and all at $999, which I think is an excellent price for GC. I almost walked out with a Trans Red Pawnshop Deluxe, but it has a couple of small stress cracks in the finish at the nut and the volume pot did not work. I had read somewhere that the GMPs were prone to develop those cracks, so that scared me off. I am not into the Roxie body style, so no GMP for me. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

However....they did have a brand new EBMM Petrucci for $869. It has a small smile in the finish only. No worries, there. Sold!

Comment

Here's the pics of what I got at the last GC mega-monster-mammoth blowout sale. I picked up this Closet Classic Custom Shop Strat for a sweet deal. No case or case candy - just a killer axe.

more pics:

http://www.hackolutions.com/csstrat2.jpg
                              http://www.hackolutions.com/csstrat3.jpg
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X