Ibanez RG 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG 550

I'm working on an ibanez rg 550 and the trem is the edge style but dosen't look like a lo pro.It has the string locks like the OFR.I didn't see any thing at the ibanez web site about this trem.So all you ibanez owners help me out here what do they call this trem?Is this a first generation edge? The ser # of the guitar is F908916 it is a very bright orange with a maple/maple neck.Hum sing hum config.I don't know how to date this guitar by way of the ser#.It plays great low and fast (now that I did the set up of course. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Re: Ibanez RG 550

The original Edge came out in 1986. It is still available as lots of people prefer it over the Lo-Pro Edge.........

Comment

Thanks man.It seems to be a solid trem more like a OFR which I prefer.I tried to date this guitar via the ser# guide in the blue book but I'm still unclear on what year this thing is.Its a great guitar lots of tone but a hideous Parking cone neon orange. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

It's an 89'! Mine's an 87' first year..love that trem! My buddy had one in the same color and I kinda liked it in some crazy way.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I had an 89 that was shocking pink. It was pretty cool.
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Thanks guys.This is my first Ibanez and its a pretty decent guitar but its no Jackson!!The neck is what drew me to it dirty maple and thin.I had a choice between the 550 or a Korean 350 with the sharks and binding for the same price.No contest.

Comment

I had an RG550 several years ago,it has been my main axe for 2 years maybe.Then I sold it to buy my first Jackson and from then never turned back to Ibanez,I discovered that Jackson necks fit me much better than the ultrathin ibanez necks (I never understood why thin=shred,I don't agree on this).Btw,mine came with a Lo Pro Edge,but I believe that some model may have the Edge....

Comment

I've had 5 or 6 bites on the 550 so it will most likely sell quickly.I don't see what all the hubbub is about ibanez guitars they seem ok but way over priced for what they are.

Comment

I have happily played & collected Jacksons for many years. I am also an Ibanez Iceman fan (more for the style than the playability). But I must admit, I was in a Sam Ash last week, and I played the new neck thru RGT42FMDR ....I was blown away:

Wizard II (neck-thru)
                  5pc. Maple / Walnut Neck Material
                  Mahogany w/Flamed Maple top Body
                  24/Jumbo frets
                  Bound Rosewood Finger Board
                  Edge Pro II bridge
                  IBZ INF1 (H) Neck PU
                  IBZ INF2 (H) Bridge PU
                  Pearl Dot Inlays

I really hate to admit it, bt this thing played just as good as my SL1. It had great tone and sustain. So, I looked around, and ended up ordering one online for $475 shipped.....brand new! It should be here next week.
                  >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

That looks nice I'll check them out.

Comment

HuntinDoug,
                      how is the RGT42FMDR?

And where did you order it from??

Comment

Oh man I love the Ibanez RG 550. I discovered them about 3 or 4 years ago and it's my favorite guitar ever. Actually the old ones. I bought a new one but the neck felt slightly fatter and frets slightly smaller so I sent it back. I have an 89, and two 91's, all with LoPro Edge's, which I prefer. But I have a regular Edge too that I have lying around and I put it on one of them and I thought it wasn't bad, but I still like the LoPro.
                        The ultra thin necks are great for me. And I think if you buy used, which is what I did, the price for what you get can't be beat.

Comment

I remember wanting an RG550 very badly when they first hit the scene, but there were no Ibanez dealers in my town at the time. To this day, I've never even played one.

Comment

Working...
                          X