• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever seen this model Guild?

Me gotz 1...........

http://www3.sympatico.ca/krohdes/Starling.htm

Re: Ever seen this model Guild?

Accept2, I actually saw your guitar when I did a Google search...Pretty cool. It's interesting that Guild, pretty much known for their hollow & semi-hollow bodied guitars, made a bunch of Solid Body 'Metal' axes back in the day. The Pilot Bass, Blade runner, X-series guitars and the like were all over the place back when I was in school. Never did see another S284 though...

-Kenn

Comment

Actually they werent "all over the place." Most Guilds from that era were made in very small numbers, since Guild could only produce 60 guitars a day, of all models............

Comment

Yes that an Avatior they don't go for very much. I payed $150 for mine with EMG 81/sa/sa, the neck was small for me so I sold it to my niece.

Comment

Ever seen this model Guild?

I bought this Guild back in the summer of '84, when I decided that I HAD to have an axe w/ a locking trem. My first choice would have been a Charvel back then, but I could not afford 'em...Anyway, here's a pic:

I remember the model # was S-284, and the name was "Aviator", or something like that. I am trying to gather up as much info as I can, so I figured I'd ask my very knowledgeable friends on the JCF! I remember a thread from the old ezboard when we mentioned these, but of course I did not save any details. I think I remember Tracy saying that he had one at one time. Anyway, anyone know anything about these babies? Thanks....

-Kenn

Comment

I had a same era Guild I believe was called a Flyer. It was a guitar version of the Pilot bass with a Kahler Pro trem (not a Flyer like one would assume with the model name) and one factory EMG humbucker. The body was maple and VERY heavy. I kind of wish I saved that guitar.

Comment

60 guitars a day is still pretty large production. I remember those Guild models being all over the place back then as well. Maybe it deopended on where you lived,

Comment

I had a Guild S300D back in the late 70's that was very nice. It has a fantastic neck.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyD:
                  60 guitars a day is still pretty large production. I remember those Guild models being all over the place back then as well. Maybe it deopended on where you lived,
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It depends on perspective. There were about 700 S284s made over a 4 year period. How many Strats fly off the Fender lines in any given minute?.............700 for a Guild model of that era would put it in the middle of production. Flyers, Pilots, and some of the more popular acoustics dominated that 60 guitars a day, so alot of models didnt get produced much. 60 guitars a day is what made Fender close up the old shop. It was just not efficient, and couldnt keep up with demand...........

Comment

Look at Jackson's production: between 1982 and 1986 Jackson produced about 9500 guitars (Charvels, Rhoads, J-serial customs), which equates to a little over 5 guitars per day. 60/day is a hell of a lot more than that, and Jacksons seemed to be "everywhere" during the '80s.

Comment

Correct, but at that time, Jackson was a small custom shop and Guild was a big manufacturer. Big difference. You could probobly put the whole Jackson custom shop in Guild's ladies room during that era................60 guitars a day for a shop that size is not alot..........

Comment

John,
                        My first guitar back in 78 was a Guild S-300D and I still have it. I was 9 or 10 when I got it and I seem to recall that my parents spent around 850 for it. Really narrow nut width but greta feeling neck and fretboard. Dimarzio creme Distorion or Super and another Dimarzio creme pup in the neck position. Funky assed shape too. Back then, I thought that guitar was the greatest thing ever. It was good, no doubt, but not what I longed for at the time. I wanted a Dean Z.

Comment

Tom, I got mine in 78' too. It was the first real guitar I ever got. Up until the Guild I was jammin to my Kiss records playing through my stereo with an MXR distortion + and my Sears Silvertone guitar. My parents bought it for me in 75' at Apex Pawn brokers in White Plains, NY. The Silvertone and the 10 watt SS junk amp were $69.00. I played it until my fingers bled for 3 years until I got the Guild. If I recall, my S300D had really low wide frets. I also don't think it had dots but I am not sure.

Comment

Rob Schwarz worked at Fender in 1980 cutting body contours and he says his expected output was 150 bodies an hour.

Comment

Compare that to 3 Hamers a day!! Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X