Fender Strat question...Mex vs. USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat question...Mex vs. USA

I'm curious to know what everyone thinks about the Mexican made Standard Strats vs. the USA made models. I'm looking to get a Strat because I like the sound and feel but don't want to pay a lot, which the USA models are all over $500 compared to $350 for the Mex models. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    E = Fb

Re: Fender Strat question...Mex vs. USA

Mexis have cheaper electronics, and the 6 screw bridge as opposed to the two-point pivot bridge on the USA's. The Mexis seem to be of pretty good quality overall for the price.

Comment

I can attest. I had a Mexi 60's reissue Strat (the Mex alternate to the USA model)...and they are very well made! As a matter of fact...if I were a real Strat lover...I'd buy Mexi's only. Cheaper, but a mirror of their USA counterparts.

(Just change the electronics...but even some Mexi's have the Tex-Mex pickups which aren't too bad either!...they compare to the Texas Specials!)

Comment

Fender has dumped in their oatmeal.the USA strats are losing resale value as of late.The mexican strats have stayed pretty stable.350.00 is about what a clean mexican goes for with case.A USA standard sells new for 799.00 and can be had used for 475.00 to 500.00.I bought a new USA std for 600.00 with OHSC,so there are deals out there.I got 600.00 when I sold it but I was lucky.If a new one is what you want do get a mex strat great quality and good price.Electronics are pretty good too.I prefer the vintage 6 screw trem to the 2 point anyway.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

http://www.allthingsstrat.com/strattable.htm

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you to buy one for three reasons.
            1) you can adda bit more money and buy an American strat
            2) There is no guarantee that your strat will be perfect
            3) Fender is not the best for the price

Comment

Up until last spring, all the Mexico bodies and necks were made in the USA. They were sent to Mexico for final completion, finishing and assembly. Now I believe just the necks are made up here. They started using CTS pots a few years ago, and some models have some USA hardware. Lower model Mexico models have cheap Ping hardware, even high end models have some Ping hardware.

I would keep an eye open for used USA standard Strats.

Comment

I agree with that! I bought a Standard telecaster when they came out and upgraded all of the hardware and pickups (at the time they were doing toploading bridges, I installed a string through). That tele was one of the best i ever had and that includes '60's models.

Comment

I've tried both and now I own an American Strat, an American Strat Deluxe, and a MIJ Strat. Sorry, but there is a world of difference in the feel on the American neck versus the Mexican Strat.

Sure, you can pick one up all day long for about $350, but the tuners need to be replaced, the nut needs to be replaced, and the pickups are at best marginal. Unless you're qualified to change all this out, you're looking at $150 for pickups, $80 for tuners, $10 for a bone nut, plus your tech's time at about $50 per hour.

350 + 150 + 80 + 10 + (100) = approx. $700

Problem is that when you go to resell it, you'll never get your money out of it. Right Chris! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The American Series have great necks, good electronics, a shitload of available tones, good tuners, and speaking of tuners, my guitar holds tune better than any of my other "boyz toyz."

Finally, do yourself a favor and watch EGAY for a early 90s MIJ )Made In Japan Strat. If they're good enough for Kenny Wayne, they're good enough for you and me.
                  "POOP"

Comment

The great thing about strats it the fact that they are easily upgradable. If you are on a budget, I highly recommend a Mexican. Especially used. Used they are $200 and below. Throw in upgrade pups and tuners and you are good to go.

Comment

How 'bout the Highway 1 strat's? They are essentially american mades with a few differences. I have one that plays pretty nice. I've only put about an hour's worth of playing on it. Probably trade it for something different. Single coils just ain't my thing. I could put a stacked hum in it, but then it wouldn't be a strat...
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

The first Strat I ever bought was a USA made 95 Strat Plus. It truely is the best guitar I own. The action is amazingly low, the neck is fast, and the sound is awesome. I can play the best country licks to the raunchiest(sp) blues. I even toss out some metal (although THAT is the Jacksons job). I have played a Mexi strat, and been let down compared to my baby. But that is JMO...so ...

Comment

For what it's worth, I was in GC a few months ago looking for a beater. I was looking at the Mexi strats and could not find a good playing one in the bunch. Wouldn't hold tune, shakey bent knobs, nuts that weren't cut right, etc. The sales guy (whom I have known for a while) told me that the necks are sad and that they get returns on them all the time for that reason. That being said, I'm sure there are good ones out there. At $500ish it's worth the investment to get a used USA - or older Japanese.

Comment

Most of the hardware on the vintage style Highway ones is Ping. A share of the guitar is built in Mexico as well. I believe the way they are made is the body and neck is rough sawn in Corona, sent to Mexico for final shaping, sanding and fretting. Sent back to the US for paint, assembly, test and tune. Fender has tested the boundaries on how they can label guitars "Made in USA". In the early 80's they did it with the first generation of Bullets, which were made in Korea and assembled in the US, so they tried to mark them "Made in USA". Problems arose and they moved full production to the US. In the early 90's they had the "Traditional" series which was Mexico made guitars assembled in the USA with USA hardware and was labled "Made in USA".

Comment

Working...
                            X