Dean Hardtail-The PRS Killer-Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Hardtail-The PRS Killer-Pics!

Well, another day, another guitar. Its good to have a friend as a dealer. This Dean Hardtail is absolutely beautiful, and I am hearing overtones I have never heard before. I like this so much, that I am going to go over with my buddy to Dean (in Clearwater, I am in Tampa), and pick out the body I want and have one done in the Faded denim finish as well. Dean Z will also sign the headstock to me when he is back in town. I could have my choice of essentially any PRS in the shop, but truthfully, they dont do anything for me, this Dean feels connected to you when you are playing it. And the attention to detail is second to none. I am done with PRS, and, as any dealer can tell you, PRS sales are down the toilet.

Anyone else played one?

The faded denim finish

Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Re: Dean Hardtail-The PRS Killer-Pics!

Fantastic guitars, man. I'm going to pick one up someday. Their neck own PRS, and they're a better value, too.

Comment

What's the neck like, especially the backshape? It looks awesome!

EDIT: Hey wait, I know that chair! You're the guy with the awesome red Wolfgang too. I'm envious!

Comment

The Neck is awesome. Like a slim taper 60's lp neck, but a little wider, and way more refined.

It even beats the crap out of my Gibson custom shop neck, but, the Gibson is its own cool animal.

Bottom line, if you are looking in the PRS realm, these arent cheap, but they blow any PRS I have ever played or owned right out of the water. On tone alone, without the superior detail they pit into the exterior.

And yes, that is my golf chair, and my Wolfie. LOL, better start taking pics somewhere else.

BTW, if anyone wants one of these, I can hook you up with a guy who will do you right.

Shawn
        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Shawn -- beautiful guitar. I'm a big Dean fan, but I haven't played one of these yet. I hear nothing but great things about them. Thanks for the review.

Comment

Thaks Crankdaddy, no problem on the review. Its my pleasure. Wish I was good enough a player to give a more detailed review on these, but to my ear and feel, they are among the best I have ever seen.

Very smooth player, with a bit of a darker overall tone, sounds awesome with Recto type distortion from my HD147, and gorgeous on the Jazzy stuff.

Shawn
            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

That guitar is amazing! Damn I would love to have one of those some day, but with a gold Floyd Rose.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

That thing is HOT. I love the inlay work.

I agree with you on the PRS stuff. Every time I go into a music store that has PRS I pick one up and ask myself, what's the big deal?

I also have always wondered about the HardTails...
                It sounds like a great guitar [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I played a couple Hardtails at a local store and was REALLY impressed.

Comment

those hardtails are gorgeous, i'd rather own those than any PRS, i saw one in natural and in indian turquoise and they are absolutely beautiful

Comment

As a proud Hardtail owner, I can say they play even better than they look.

Comment

I a/b'd with essentially everything I own last nite, and the one thing I notice, is the overall tightness of the sound. Very focused, could the ebony have something to do with that?

It's funny, I think it has the same pups as my SL2H, but they sound so very different. The Hardtail is warmer, but not crappy warm like a Mccarty, closer to my LP. Once again though, very dark tone, very cool for Nu-metal type stuff, or AIC, Soundgarden, etc.......

Shawn
                        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

What kind of pickups do they have?
                          I saw Michael Angelo playing the same model at NAMM last year.It smoked!

How about the body? are they thciker than PRS?
                          I hope so.

I have never played Dean but always loved the chicks they have at NAMM show everyyear.
                          It's time for me to grab one...I mean the guitar [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

the attention to detail is amazing
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would say they are second to none, in that department. The head luthier over at Dean, Mick Donner, has a great pedegree having worked for Gibson, Parker, and a few others. Great guy and knows his stuff - and a New Englander to boot!

Here's mine:

Comment

Although I haven't played one (I'm afraid to touch expensive things), A shop I was in the other day had a few hanging on the wall at eye level-they are stunning! I have always seen PRS guitars and thought they were very nice looking, classy guitars, but the Deans are so 3-D looking it is almost like the tops are made of colored glass. I was visually checking them out and they looked fabulous. A few of the more expensive Gibsons were not far away from it and they just looked "blah" compared tot he Deans.

Comment

Working...
                              X